Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Hello Community!

I've been looking for it everywhere and I didn't find a comprehensive look at the Apple Maps UI in CarPlay while just driving.

Currently, I have the OEM sat nav, which has this "standby" 3D view, which I like, because I can check surroundings, streets, or simply I just know which street I should turn so in this 3D view I have a quick glance of upcoming side streets, etc.

When I turn on the 3D view on iPhone, it's kind of weak. It's not a "car arrow" but still a dot, it's not getting dark UI after sunset, etc.

I would like to see whether CarPlay has improved upon this feature. To just be able to navigate without the target, destination.

Kind Regards,

IGI

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Anyone? Nobody has Apple CarPlay?

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not sure what you are asking but you can use Maps without using Navigation. There is less info on the screen (no speed limit) but it will show you where you are the same. Here are a couple of screen shots from about the same spot.

IMG_3297.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Nice, thank you very much.

The second screen is what I'm after, you don't see any road names in that view? Is it also as "flexible" as normal nav mode? Does it zoom in and zoom out according to your speed? Does it have night mode after the sunset?

Moreover, at least in my region, NAV mode shows additional UI elements, such as green areas, trees:
maps_nav.PNG

maps_no_nav.PNG

So does it also happen in your case? Does the nav mode shows more details than non-nav mode?

Much appreciate for your help!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Still not 100% sure what you are asking. However here is a couple of screenshots I did this morning (both in Night Mode). The first I was sitting in my garage and scrolled a couple of miles away. Second is sitting in the parking lot of a shopping center (going to gym). Does this show what you want to know?

IMG_4152.jpg
IMG_4160.jpg

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Thanks @Julien

Something like you probably posted, using maps while you don't navigate, just a preview of your driving, so you see the landmarks, etc.

no_nav.jpg

I was looking for this view maps without nav mode during some video reviews on youtube but also without luck.

Does this [3D] sign on your second means that it is ON or OFF?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Nice, didn't know that.
I didn't either, then I decided to try while I was sitting at a long red light.

I had the Map open on CarPlay, pressed the Siri button, I said the phrase, "Zoom out", Siri responded with "Zooming out," and the Map view returned, zoomed out as if I had pressed the minus button one time.

Half of Siri's capabilities that I've discovered were like, "Hmm, I wonder if she'll do this.... *ask her a question*"
[doublepost=1517004940][/doublepost]
Thanks @Julien

Something like you probably posted, using maps while you don't navigate, just a preview of your driving, so you see the landmarks, etc.

I was looking for this view maps without nav mode during some video reviews on youtube but also without luck.

Answering these ^^^

I'd say I have Maps on my display almost all the time now. It can show street names and live traffic, which is all I want to see if I'm not actively navigating. And, while using it for turn-by-turn nav directions, maybe half the time I have it in Overview, which shows the full map and I can see where alternate routes might be helpful.

The [3D] icon on his screenshot looks like it's un-selected, but I'm not sure; I rarely ever use the 3D view.

The directional arrow-in-a-circle icon in the upper left corner is indicating a "forward-up" orientation (I think that's what it's called, when the direction you're going is "up" on the map). Tap it again to make the circle go away, and it changes the orientation to "North-up" (where North is always at the top of the map).

You can manually scroll and zoom the Map view anywhere else. You [probably] can't pinch-to-zoom, though.

Are we getting closer to the answers you'd like? It's probably best to see it work in real life.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks @Julien

In Pic 1 (and the 2 pics posted before) it is in 2D. The 3ed pic is in 3D (outline box around 3D means on & no outline means 3D off).

Also the example you show is North up (true map view) and I'm showing Heading up (direction car is facing) which most prefer when driving. You can chose either North up or Heading up by clicking the Location arrow and you can also choose either when just following your route (NOT Navigating).

Just to add to the street names (pet peeve). A major Apple Map's weakness is the inconsistencies in displaying the street names. This also applies to iOS, CarPlay and macOS Maps. Even Google Maps can be a little inconstant at showing street names.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Does this top bar disappear? Because with the "white" map there is no top bar.
[doublepost=1517005863][/doublepost]
Also the example you show is North up (true map view) and I'm showing Heading up (direction car is facing) which most prefer when driving.
Yes, I also prefer this view. But right now, on iPhone, you don't have this "car" when you don't navigate, you have this "dot" which looks somewhere, (not necessarily right when you rotate your phone for landscape), and the map doesn't work so smooth (it's not "bolder"). The 3D view is also skewed a bit on iPhone while NOT navigating (just following your dot), very shaky, unsure in comparison to navigation mode (when you have a clear destination).

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
See the 1st 2 pics I posted in post #4.;)
Okay, thanks for now. I'll be replacing my radio frame with 2DIN frame, will see how this will pan out :)
[doublepost=1517006625][/doublepost]
Are we getting closer to the answers you'd like? It's probably best to see it work in real life.
Yup, much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.