Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Hi,

Just bought a new car and love using Carplay with it. The one issue we have is that no matter the volume of music, text alerts come through at a jarring volume. I assume this is because I have my text volume on high by default so I can hear it when I'm walking around with my iPhone in my pocket.

That said, is there a way to reduce the text alert volume in Carplay mode, without turning down the text alert volume when I'm out of carplay mode. If not, it means I have to open my messages every time I get into and out of the car to change the volume.

Hoping there is a way to do this that I've missed.

Ty!

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
More likely to be a case of turning the volume on the car side. Try someone ringing your phone and while its ringing turn the volume down on the car stereo. On the couple of cars i've used carplay on there are separate volume settings for the radio etc then notification things.

Reactions: Davidalan

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
More likely to be a case of turning the volume on the car side. Try someone ringing your phone and while its ringing turn the volume down on the car stereo. On the couple of cars i've used carplay on there are separate volume settings for the radio etc then notification things.
On my Toyota that is the way it works. When directions for turns are given out, by using the volume button to lower the spoken directions.

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Hmmmmmm ... tried to adjust the volume when testing ringtones and seems to change the entire system instead of just the notification. Will have to mess around a bit more.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There are two volume levels within CarPlay - the basic audio/radio/music app playback level and the alert level. You can only adjust the level of the one currently playing. So simply adjusting the volume while the radio/music app is playing will only affect the level of the playback.

To adjust the alert level, you have to adjust the volume WHILE the alert is playing...

So, invoke Siri and get her to "talk" - like asking for information that will cause her to speak for a few seconds... and WHILE SHE IS TALKING, you can adjust the volume for the alert playback.

Reactions: Davidalan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.