Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarsN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Hi there,

since some weeks I've noticed that my phone has a higher amount of Screetime, but I thought it must be from me locking up the macbook air delivery very often and other parcels for christmas coming.

But recently I have found out that Waze, despite running on my Car Display in CarPlay counts towards Screentime.

Using a iPhone X 14.3 and a standard Lightning cable to a Skoda Octavia III. This is definitely new. Is this a iOS issue or Waze bug?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi there,

since some weeks I've noticed that my phone has a higher amount of Screetime, but I thought it must be from me locking up the macbook air delivery very often and other parcels for christmas coming.

But recently I have found out that Waze, despite running on my Car Display in CarPlay counts towards Screentime.

Using a iPhone X 14.3 and a standard Lightning cable to a Skoda Octavia III. This is definitely new. Is this a iOS issue or Waze bug?
Not sure it is an "issue"... after all, you are using your device with an active screen (phone or CarPlay head unit)... kind of makes sense to me... but I also have a long history of being wrong. (ask wife/kids). :D

LarsN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks for your quick feedback. Have wife and kids as well. ?
From my opinion, everything that hasn’t been announced or can be found in the release notes is unintentional and potentially a bug. My tv is also a screen and watching movies could be seen as screentime under that rules.

Let’s see what other say. I was hoping to find out if this is exclusive to my setup.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks for your quick feedback. Have wife and kids as well.
From my opinion, everything that hasn’t been announced or can be found in the release notes is unintentional and potentially a bug. My tv is also a screen and watching movies could be seen as screentime under that rules.

Let’s see what other say. I was hoping to find out if this is exclusive to my setup.

It’s not unique to your setup. I drove 20 minutes this morning with CarPlay active and it logged that time as ‘screen time’.

LarsN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
It’s still an issue with iOS 15. Why doesn’t watching something with my Apple TV count as screentime then?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Chiming in to say that this is still going on. I am assuming it’s a bug and not intended behavior.

LarsN.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Did you reported it as a bug? Are you using a beta via TestFlight?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Did you reported it as a bug? Are you using a beta via TestFlight?
I will get it reported now. I'm on the standard public release of iOS 15.5. I should have mentioned this isn't with Waze for me. It's any app left on the screen in CarPlay such as Music or Overcast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.