Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My Toyota's Pioneer headunit boots almost straight up into wireless Carplay when I am turning on the engine. It is very fast. The only issue that it has 7 inch screen and I'd prefer 9 inch, maybe later this year.

Oh interesting, I guess it depends on the radio unit then. (I have a 2022 Hyundai Kona).

Reactions: StoneJack

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Having to plug in and out my smartphone every time I drive my car is a BIG inconvenience for me and this also applies for many others.
I'm never sure how it can be that "BIG" an inconvenience...its plugging a wire in. I have a cable plugged into the car all the time with just enough showing so the phone can sit in the centre console whilst i'm driving. It takes a couple of seconds if that to plug in.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I'm never sure how it can be that "BIG" an inconvenience...its plugging a wire in. I have a cable plugged into the car all the time with just enough showing so the phone can sit in the centre console whilst i'm driving. It takes a couple of seconds if that to plug in.

Until you use it you won’t feel it. Experiences like these are only understood when you actually do it, otherwise our logical brain doesn’t see it being beneficial.

I was the same with smart watches until I gave the  WATCH a chance and actually tried it out.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
It is. Have to connect and disconnect every time, every day until the USB-C port becomes loose. The cable is not easy to hide. And most importantly, my rather long smartphone can not even sit in that place under the console because of the extra length the USB-C cable connector adds. If you place it vertically it moves around in every road bump, if you place it horizontally there is just not enough space.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm never sure how it can be that "BIG" an inconvenience...it’s plugging a wire in. I have a cable plugged into the car all the time with just enough showing so the phone can sit in the centre console whilst i'm driving. It takes a couple of seconds if that to plug in.
Perhaps you keep your iPhone in your hand at all times? My phone stays in my pocket for 90% of in-town driving. I have a MagSafe puck mounted in the console for when I want to charge the phone (longer trips).

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Perhaps you keep your iPhone in your hand at all times? My phone stays in my pocket for 90% of in-town driving. I have a MagSafe puck mounted in the console for when I want to charge the phone (longer trips).
Short trips like you i may not bother but it takes so little effort with the way its set up for me to plug in i do it out of habit half the time. At least then the phone is connected via CarPlay for anything i may need to do on any journey.

This is an image of the interior of my car....the USB port is in the arm rest so i have a cable plugged in with just enough hanging out so that i can pop it upside down in the little cubby hole between the arm rest and the gear stick that opens up (its always open on my car) so the port is on the top and then just pop the cable in. Can do it with one hand its that simple and easy. With a few seconds the phone is plugged in and CarPlay is showing on screen.

0016vauxhallinsigniaint.jpg

I suspect if i could be any way inclined it wouldnt be a big job to mount a little dock in the bottom of that cubby hole with the wire through a small hole into the arm rest behind it so its all hidden but i've just never bothered doing it.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve bought Ottocast U2-AIR-2023 adapter

It woks fine and connection is quite fast but it’s horrible to switch between phones.

For some reason it keeps connection to the last phone used while I have only another phone.

Unless I reset all configurations or unplug and plug back device I can’t connect to another phone.

Does anyone experience the same.

While my adapted is still eligible to return I’m thinking about another brand.

Maybe it’s my fault… but it’s very inconvenient to fight with connections having 2 CarPlay users. Any heads-up ?
Do you have any good experience with other adapters?

I have this adapter to use Apple CarPlay wireless. I have a wireless charging pad in my vehicle, which I use while the adapter is plugged in. It takes 10 seconds or less to boot up for me and I have 0 complaints.

2023 Carlinkit 4.0 Adapter - Wireless CarPlay & Wireless Android Auto for OEM Factory CarPlay Cars, Fast Connect, Plug & Play, 2 in 1 No Delay, Built in CarPlay https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-4-0-Adapter-Wireless-CarPlay/dp/B0B1Q819KM

Reactions: Surfsalot

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
The problem with bluetooth CarPlay is that you forget that navigation in your car and other functions drains your iPhone battery. So you end up plugging your iPhone in just to keep it charged up anyway.
This is why I dislike how many cars auto activate carplay automatically every time I get in the car. Carplay while my phone remains in my pocket is great, but I would like to make a consious decision to use it each time by selecting the carplay button on my infotainment center.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
I just bought a used 2021 Honda HR-V. Wired CarPlay works fine, but is there anyway I can have it connect wirelessly and automatically? It's a pain to have to manually plug the phone in every time I want to drive somewhere, especially if it's only for a short distance.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I just bought a used 2021 Honda HR-V. Wired CarPlay works fine, but is there anyway I can have it connect wirelessly and automatically? It's a pain to have to manually plug the phone in every time I want to drive somewhere, especially if it's only for a short distance.
You will need an adapter to have it connect wireless, and even then it will take a couple seconds to connect.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: Tagbert

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
we have 2 x carlinkt no issues, would never go back to plug in, have the Brodit magsafe charger/holder too.

Iankom

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
I've bought a new Mazda cx-30 and wanted to enable CarPlay. I did it with no issues when my phone was connected via cable.
When I disconnected cable CarPlay automatically disconnected too.
My question: is CarPlay supported only via cable?
Is it correct that only using CarPlay wireless adapter support wireless connection?
Thanks
My 2015 Honda CR-V with BETA CARPLAY installed 3 years ago is working FINE with no issues with cheap $32 chinese adapter. I'm have iPhone 8 iPhone XR and iPhone 12, all working ... no problem with this chinese wire to wireless adapter. Just need the iPhone pair to your infotainment system
Web capture_14-12-2023_111921_www.aliexpress.com.jpeg

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
My Toyota's Pioneer headunit boots almost straight up into wireless Carplay when I am turning on the engine. It is very fast. The only issue that it has 7 inch screen and I'd prefer 9 inch, maybe later this year.
Mt BMW X5 PHEV is the same. Pretty much boots straight to CarPlay.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I've bought a new Mazda cx-30 and wanted to enable CarPlay. I did it with no issues when my phone was connected via cable.
When I disconnected cable CarPlay automatically disconnected too.
My question: is CarPlay supported only via cable?
Is it correct that only using CarPlay wireless adapter support wireless connection?
Thanks
Some car manufacturers implemented a wireless connection that works with CarPlay others have not and you must use a cable for those cars. It looks like the 2020 and later CX-30 do have the wireless connection built in.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
In my experience the device I use doesn’t add any delays at all. By the time I open the door, sit in the car and put my seatbelt on, the device is connected with the CarPlay device.
which device do you use? Third party?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
which device do you use? Third party?

Yes, in one of my old cars it’s a third party device because CarPlay didn’t exist when I bought the car! So I bought a third party device off amazon which works flawlessly.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Yes, in one of my old cars it’s a third party device because CarPlay didn’t exist when I bought the car! So I bought a third party device off amazon which works flawlessly.
Which one did you get? I have the Carlinkit 3.0. It is much less reliable than the wired connection and there is noticable lag. I’ve seen references to a Carlinkit 5.0 and I’ve wondered if it will be better, but the manufacturer’s page doesn’t talk about any improvements, so it is hard to judge.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I bought an amazon one too a few months back and it lagged a couple seconds. I sent it back.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Which one did you get? I have the Carlinkit 3.0. It is much less reliable than the wired connection and there is noticable lag. I’ve seen references to a Carlinkit 5.0 and I’ve wondered if it will be better, but the manufacturer’s page doesn’t talk about any improvements, so it is hard to judge.

I bought an amazon one too a few months back and it lagged a couple seconds. I sent it back.

I use the one from Carpuride! So far it has been pretty good. Only at times it hangs when the map doesn’t load, but a simple restart fixes it!

Carpuride Newest 103 Portable... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7W6NF15?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.