Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Test drove a Jeep the other day. I asked the dealer about CarPlay. He said he'd never heard of it and then assured me their system is the "best." He said he didn't understand technology, but assured me that whatever it was I was talking about would be obsolete next year when the "next big thing" comes out. Guy really had no idea about tech in general. Further, he assured me that Jeep would never allow anything of the sort I was describing. I then told him Jeep was listed as a [future] CarPlay partner.

Apple is really going to miss the boat if NOBODY knows about CarPlay. Why bother creating it if you there is no marketing so that neither customers nor dealers know enough about it to request it. The guy had never HEARD of it and he's a car dealer. Geez.

I mean, it was already supposed to be released from factory in all these different models, but that obviously hasn't happened. I just don't understand who dropped the ball.

MR, you guys really need a CarPlay forum. Well, if it ever actually exists in the public. (yeah I know you can get it third party)

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
From the car manufacturer's point of view, they've spent a fortune developing these terrible, clunky, slow systems that don't work. Why throw that money down the drain and use an Apple system?

They won't include them across their range unless people start asking for them, and they won't start asking for them because the car companies don't want to waste their money.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Test drove a Jeep the other day. I asked the dealer about CarPlay. He said he'd never heard of it and then assured me their system is the "best." He said he didn't understand technology, but assured me that whatever it was I was talking about would be obsolete next year when the "next big thing" comes out. Guy really had no idea about tech in general. Further, he assured me that Jeep would never allow anything of the sort I was describing. I then told him Jeep was listed as a [future] CarPlay partner.

Apple is really going to miss the boat if NOBODY knows about CarPlay. Why bother creating it if you there is no marketing so that neither customers nor dealers know enough about it to request it. The guy had never HEARD of it and he's a car dealer. Geez.

I mean, it was already supposed to be released from factory in all these different models, but that obviously hasn't happened. I just don't understand who dropped the ball.

MR, you guys really need a CarPlay forum. Well, if it ever actually exists in the public. (yeah I know you can get it third party)

He's a shady car salesman after your money. I've experienced this same scenario when I shop for a car. They will tell you anything to get you in that car immediately. Wait and buy a car with CarPlay.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
He's a shady car salesman after your money. I've experienced this same scenario when I shop for a car. They will tell you anything to get you in that car immediately. Wait and buy a car with CarPlay.

I would love to, but who knows how long I'll be waiting. It was supposed to be out LAST year. Nobody has announced any solid plans to have it this year. Hell, they don't even know about it so it doesn't feel like we are close. No manufacturer website I've seen even references CarPlay. Feels like the Lock Ness Monster at this point.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008

Don't take the guy so seriously just because he as a 100% cotton polo with the Jeep logo on it. Sales people are the worst people to get your information from. 90% of the time, these sales guys have no idea what they are selling (or they just straight lie because they want you to sign on the dotted line). I bet if he started working at Ford tomorrow, then their infotainment system would suddenly be "the best".

Just because he sells the things, that does not make him an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

lyutin

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
just went on acura website

acura tlx already has carplay, so im pretty sure they are being implemented in other makes and models. just takes time.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Don't take the guy so seriously just because he as a 100% cotton polo with the Jeep logo on it. Sales people are the worst people to get your information from. 90% of the time, these sales guys have no idea what they are selling (or they just straight lie because they want you to sign on the dotted line). I bet if he started working at Ford tomorrow, then their infotainment system would suddenly be "the best".

Just because he sells the things, that does not make him an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I know. I said he has no idea about tech. And I think we all know to not trust car salesmen. I thought it was understood in my post.

acura tlx already has carplay, so im pretty sure they are being implemented in other makes and models. just takes time.

Oh wow, thanks.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
I would love to, but who knows how long I'll be waiting. It was supposed to be out LAST year. Nobody has announced any solid plans to have it this year. Hell, they don't even know about it so it doesn't feel like we are close. No manufacturer website I've seen even references CarPlay. Feels like the Lock Ness Monster at this point.

I'm not sure if you've decided on Jeep, but Pioneer has CarPlay which you can, maybe, integrate into your new Jeep:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Downloads

Do you want your car stereo integrated and flushed with the dashboard (like 99.9% of the cars these days) or are you willing to purchase your stereo 3rd party?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm not sure if you've decided on Jeep, but Pioneer has CarPlay which you can, maybe, integrate into your new Jeep:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Downloads

Do you want your car stereo integrated and flushed with the dashboard (like 99.9% of the cars these days) or are you willing to purchase your stereo 3rd party?

Yeah, I've been looking into the third party option. It just seems expensive and a hassle. Added to the fact I'm not sure what it would look like exactly. I'm not sure what to do. I am pretty settled on Jeep, but haven't bought anything yet.
Oh, and do you lose any of the stock functionality? Not sure how that works?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah, I've been looking into the third party option. It just seems expensive and a hassle. Added to the fact I'm not sure what it would look like exactly. I'm not sure what to do. I am pretty settled on Jeep, but haven't bought anything yet.
Oh, and do you lose any of the stock functionality? Not sure how that works?

If you're looking for 3rd party, you also need to consider GPS integrated into the car radio equipped with CarPlay. I prefer having everything come from the dealer that way it's all under warranty, plus it looks good too when everything is cohesive.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
If you're looking for 3rd party, you also need to consider GPS integrated into the car radio equipped with CarPlay. I prefer having everything come from the dealer that way it's all under warranty, plus it looks good too when everything is cohesive.

No cars come with CarPlay. That's the whole problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.