Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
Hi guys I have been an iphone user since 2012, and have used 5, 6, 6s and now I use 7 plus. I was very content with the iOS and iphones untill this week, I am getting messages from my carrier service for every 10mb of internet usage, the sad part is, the message is displayed in a way that I can't use my phone.

My phone is locked and when I press home button, it displays the message, I turn it off, turn it on again and all I can see is this pathetic message. I have also talked to my carrier but they say its not under their control, iOS 10 is malfunctioning.

For every time that message occurs, I have to restart my iPhone in order to use it again. Is there any one out here who has faced similar issue? Is there a way out?

Please help.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi guys I have been an iphone user since 2012, and have used 5, 6, 6s and now I use 7 plus. I was very content with the iOS and iphones untill this week, I am getting messages from my carrier service for every 10mb of internet usage, the sad part is, the message is displayed in a way that I can't use my phone.

My phone is locked and when I press home button, it displays the message, I turn it off, turn it on again and all I can see is this pathetic message. I have also talked to my carrier but they say its not under their control, iOS 10 is malfunctioning.

For every time that message occurs, I have to restart my iPhone in order to use it again. Is there any one out here who has faced similar issue? Is there a way out?

Please help.
What kind of a message is this? A text message? Something else?

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
A text message from your carrier? Is it freezing your phone or blocking some UI elements? You may want to take a video or screenshot to clearer define your issue.

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
A text message from your carrier? Is it freezing your phone or blocking some UI elements? You may want to take a video or screenshot to clearer define your issue.

Its a notification sort of a thing that is displayed on iPhone screen with Gray color in background.

What does it say when you try? I've blocked carrier messages

How did you block it? If I can do that it'd make my life a lot easier. Please share how it can be done. I am using iPhone 5 right now, I am posting the snap of the carrier message here

http://imgur.com/a/ABTbm

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Its a notification sort of a thing that is displayed on iPhone screen with Gray color in background.

How did you block it? If I can do that it'd make my life a lot easier. Please share how it can be done. I am using iPhone 5 right now, I am posting the snap of the carrier message here

http://imgur.com/a/ABTbm

i was under the impression that it was a text message, sorry.

i'm not sure, but this is a carrier issue and not an iPhone issue. contact your carrier.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
It's called a "flash SMS".(nothing to do with adobe flash) Some carriers in the world send info after every call about remaining balance, esp (esp on prepaid). It's not common in the US and people may not even know about it. But to answer your question - no there's not malfunction and they cannot be blocked. They are a relic from the olden days but all phones must still support them.

Reactions: Ben Harley

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
It's called a "flash SMS".(nothing to do with adobe flash) Some carriers in the world send info after every call about remaining balance, esp (esp on prepaid). It's not common in the US and people may not even know about it. But to answer your question - no there's not malfunction and they cannot be blocked. They are a relic from the olden days but all phones must still support them.

Why is it not going away when I press Dismiss? Why do I have to restart my phone in order to go back to home screen?

Is there any solution?

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
Going out on a limb here, but I would try resetting your network settings to see if that fixes the issue. Lemme know

Tried it not working. I have shifted from iPhone 5 to 7 plus now again and it's not happening anymore.
[doublepost=1491898771][/doublepost]
well that's just too bad eh

I swear man, it was very annoying.

Reactions: Chazzle

Akshayf

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
It's a very common thing for prepaid accounts. It's called a USSD message.
Regarding the Dismiss issue, you need to press the Dismiss button multiple times to clear them all out as they just stack on top of each other. Just hit the Dismiss button multiple times quickly until they all go away..

Reactions: Ben Harley

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
It's a very common thing for prepaid accounts. It's called a USSD message.
Regarding the Dismiss issue, you need to press the Dismiss button multiple times to clear them all out as they just stack on top of each other. Just hit the Dismiss button multiple times quickly until they all go away..

Yup tried it. Did not work. Anyway iPhone 7 does not bundles up these messages. I just press Dismiss once and it goes away.

Thanks for the input though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.