Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramanjassal98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
London
Does anyone know what happened to the iOS 11 feature of integrating your mobile data plan directly into settings? I remember it was available during the betas in the UK, but it never shipped. I thought it was a helpful feature to keep an eye on data usage without having to use a carrier app or texting service! This would be especially useful now that Dual Sims/eSIMs are becoming more common. Apple sometimes delay features for later updates, but this seems to have been axed entirely. I wonder why, any thoughts?

IMG_9253.jpeg
IMG_9252.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9252.jpeg
    IMG_9252.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: TimFL1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It‘s something your carrier has to add support for, which sadly barely happened. It‘s been so forgotten I fail to find any documentation about this anywhere (so I could go and suggest it to my carrier), let alone what the official name for this was.

Most carriers probably want to push their app for data usage statistics.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

ramanjassal98

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
London
My Carrier did support it during the beta, but it never emerged in the final release.

Most carriers probably want to push their app for data usage statistics.

I suspect you're right here and that is probably the main reason why the feature was dropped or not adopted. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that remembered the feature existed haha!

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My Carrier did support it during the beta, but it never emerged in the final release.

I suspect you're right here and that is probably the main reason why the feature was dropped or not adopted. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that remembered the feature existed haha!
Do you have any official Apple document link about it? Tried searching for it but all I find is guides on how to use the settings app usage section (no carrier integration).
I mean there has to be some form of integration info? Maybe on the dev portal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.