Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Get two iMacs !!! Lol.

I'm planning to get an dedicated gaming rig later this year, so I could have them at the different locations. Although I wish there was good web development tools like Coda and design tools as Sketch for Windows.. Would be pretty awkward telling an client that I won't be able to make them a site because I don't have access to my iMac:rolleyes:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....As the title suggest, is there a good way to carry the 27" between different locations? I just bought a new rMBP 15", I love it so far but I have it stationary 100% of the time I use it and I thought an iMac would be better, although the convenience with the rMBP is that I can carry it between 2 locations which are a 2 min drive from each other every week without issues. ....

if your rMBP is stationary 100%, then do you really need to even worry about carrying around an iMac?? Wouldn't it be just as stationary as your 100% stationary rMBP?

Anyway, I have a 21" iMac and from time to time I have to take it to a client's office to work for a day or so. Carrying the iMac is doable but a bit inconvenient. The setup and teardown is annoying. Transporting the mouse, keyboard, power cord, etc, is annoying........it's do-able but annoying

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
if your rMBP is stationary 100%, then do you really need to even worry about carrying around an iMac?? Wouldn't it be just as stationary as your 100% stationary rMBP?

Anyway, I have a 21" iMac and from time to time I have to take it to a client's office to work for a day or so. Carrying the iMac is doable but a bit inconvenient. The setup and teardown is annoying. Transporting the mouse, keyboard, power cord, etc, is annoying........it's do-able but annoying

I was just having the thought that the battery wouldn't like it very much.. Plus it'd be nice to have desktop class performance. My current rMBP needs to be packed down is almost the same way. It's the mice(Wireless and has it's own separate box), mousepad, the pretty log MagSafe cord and my headphones. I agree that bringing an MacBook instead of an iMac to a client would be greatly more convenient, but I do most of my client communication through phone or email, although bringing an iPad should do the trick aswell.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was just having the thought that the battery wouldn't like it very much..
I've used my MBP that way, and its been going on 4 years.
My current rMBP needs to be packed down is almost the same way. It's the mice(Wireless and has it's own separate box), mousepad, the pretty log MagSafe cord and my headphones.
Sounds like you're trying to increase the incoveniance of traveling with the MBP and decrease the iMac's In all honesty, I've exclusively used laptops for over 10 years (and prior to that a desktop, laptop setup) and to be honest. Its not that much trouble. If you are going to be mobile pack a second wireless mouse, you don't really need a mousepad with the current generation mice and its fairly easy to store the powercord.

The bottom line, you don't need to convince us that moving the iMac is a good idea, it seems like you've already made up your mind in that department. Its your computer and do what you think is best for your needs. I think a bunch of us offered our opinions and solutions, its up to you to find what works best for you.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I've used my MBP that way, and its been going on 4 years.

Does the battery work like normal?

Sounds like you're trying to increase the incoveniance of traveling with the MBP and decrease the iMac's In all honesty, I've exclusively used laptops for over 10 years (and prior to that a desktop, laptop setup) and to be honest. Its not that much trouble. If you are going to be mobile pack a second wireless mouse, you don't really need a mousepad with the current generation mice and its fairly easy to store the powercord.

The bottom line, you don't need to convince us that moving the iMac is a good idea, it seems like you've already made up your mind in that department. Its your computer and do what you think is best for your needs. I think a bunch of us offered our opinions and solutions, its up to you to find what works best for you.

Sorry for the confussion, I was putting it up against what it'd be to pack down my rMBP, and Apple has done a excellent job designing the MagSafe cord for transport. The mouseped isn't necessary indeed, but it reduces the noise made by mice movements on my desk significantly, plus the manufactuer recomends having one for 'gaming precision'(To be honest there's not much difference if I use a cheap or expensive one).

If I decide to get the iMac after all, I'll probably go with a good case as suggested. Only the future'll tell;)

And I think I'll go ahead and mark the thread as resolved, thanks everyone for your tips, suggestions and input! Really appriciated! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.