Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi, dont know where to post this really so I suppose here will do.

A couple of times in the last few days my web browser has redirected me to the Casale Media homepage. Once was on macrumors and the other was when I was looking at my own .mac homepage. I was not even sat at my computer when it redirected me off macrumors!

Is this an issue with Safari or the websites that I was looking at? Also has anyone else ever had this probelm.

Thanks.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
It appears that CasaleMedia.com is some sort of Spyware. I thought that macs do not get affected by these issues? In my OP I forgot to mention that it also opened a new email messge in Mail and wanted me to enter a recipient email address!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Oh, Come on!

It appears that CasaleMedia.com is some sort of Spyware. ...
Casale Media is an online advertising company. As far as I can tell, the only time that you should enter your email address is to login to your account on the company's website. In the worse case, perhaps one of its client links went awry. However, there is nothing to justify your suspicion that the website is spyware.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Casale Media is an online advertising company. As far as I can tell, the only time that you should enter your email address is to login to your account on the company's website. In the worse case, perhaps one of its client links went awry. However, there is nothing to justify your suspicion that the website is spyware.

I got the info about it being related to spyware from here

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's not spyware, grasshopper. It's a tricky pop-up / pop-under / redirect that is embedded in something (Flash, another script, etc) so it can get past pop-up blockers. That's different from spyware.

Here's why. First of all, it's not even technically spyware behavior you're describing. Spyware doesn't redirect you to websites. Spyware gathers information about you and sends it back to some server somewhere without you knowing it. This is, or rather, could be, adware. Adware causes websites to open in your browser without any precipitating action from you.

But you're only seeing them when you go to sites that have ads. This is a sure hint that adware is not involved. If you've ever seen adware on a Windows computer, it's so much worse. You can go to sites that have no advertising whatsoever (like a university's website or a federal government website) and you will still get pop-ups or redirects. That is adware.

Now then, you don't have adware. You do have a source of pop-ups your browser cannot handle. Here are some options if you want to get rid of it:

1) Safari and Firefox: You can use a userContent.css file that eliminates contents from casalemedia (e.g. the one at http://floppymoose.org ).

2) Safari and Firefox: You should make sure you're using Flash 9 -- Flash 8 was much more susceptible to this.

3) Safari: You can use PithHelmet (google it) to control this kind of content

4) Firefox: You can use Adblock to control this kind of content.

But if you're getting redirects from Macrumors itself, you should send a message to Arn or to the moderators. Arn uses ads, but generally chooses ones that aren't nasty in nature. Usually if he knows that there's an ad in his rotation that causes redirects or pop-ups, he will ask that it be removed from the rotation and replaced with something else. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.