Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Hello,

I noticed micro scratches in the form of very small dots on my iPhone 14 Pro. Especially in the area of the edge. And I have the impression that the case is responsible for this. After all, it can only be the case, since I never had the phone naked. I used the Torras (clear) case. Opinions about it? Am I the only one?

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
I think the clear cases can trap dirt more easily than ones with microfiber inside, so it's possible that the dirt slowly scratched the phone coating yeah

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I believe coso is correct. Trapped dirt and particles. Before putting a case on, I always make sure the inside of the case is cleaned as well as the phone.

Now, why can't Apple make a phone that doesn't scratch?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
In my opinion, clear cases are the worst. In all the years that I’ve had iPhones that only time I’ve had any scratches on my phone is one I’ve used to clear case because debris seems to get trapped a lot easier inside the case.

Reactions: Skuraj- and coso

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
In my opinion, clear cases are the worst. In all the years that I’ve had iPhones that only time I’ve had any scratches on my phone is one I’ve used to clear case because debris seems to get trapped a lot easier inside the case.
Why would that be? Wouldn't dirt get trapped in any color case?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Why would that be? Wouldn't dirt get trapped in any color case?
I don’t know to be honest, it’s just that the clear case I had was a solid hard plastic case with no protection on the inside. If grit gets inside those then it’s going to scratch the phone. Soft TPU cases can stretch a little and let grit in.
So I’ve always stuck with Apple cases and no problems with the silicon or leather ones. I’ve now switched to aramid cases which are really snug, fit and very slim, but obviously not a clear case

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Dirt gets trapped in any case but its not noticeable when the case is lined with microfiber. The microfiber also helps to reduce the dirt abrasion against the phone.
Ok...I see the point now. Makes sense. I guess if you are using a clear case, make sure it and the phone are clean before installing.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Yup - dust and dirt getting trapped in the case from when its going in/out of pockets etc.
I actually rate Apple Silicon cases here, as they are fabric lined inside, and I find my handsets always come out pristine.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Dirt gets trapped in any case but its not noticeable when the case is lined with microfiber. The microfiber also helps to reduce the dirt abrasion against the phone.
Yep, that’s absolutely right. Any case with fibre lining inside significantly reduces the chance of any scratches. It’s also about risk mitigation though. If you keep your pockets clean and grit, free, then scratches shouldn’t be an issue.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
In this sense, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the fact that my FineWoven case hasn't fibre lining on the sides where the metal chassis rests..

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Yep, that’s absolutely right. Any case with fibre lining inside significantly reduces the chance of any scratches. It’s also about risk mitigation though. If you keep your pockets clean and grit, free, then scratches shouldn’t be an issue.
I don't think I've ever owned a case with microfiber lining. Never had an issue with scratches. However, like you said, it's about mitigation. Clean inside the case as well as clean the phone before install and you should be good to go. Also make sure the case you buy fits well and is not too loose.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
When I used to use cheap cases with no fiber lining on the inside I used to remove the phone from the case weekly and give it a clean, as well as using a can of compressed air to blow out the inside of the case....

rafaelawithtech

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Based on my usage, Torras cases are the most scratch-resistant. Many phone cases become unusable after just one drop, but I've been using a Torras case for a year and it has met my expectations. However, when it comes to clear phone cases, they tend to yellow within a few months, and this is the case with all brands on the market. Torras' clear cases, relatively speaking, fare better in this aspect.

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I was stung when it came to sell my iPhone X, I used a hard case and it scratched the frame and back. Always use a case with a microfibre lining.

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Replaced my two year old Raptic case yesterday with a new Raptic Clear Air case. The phone and case were very clean. The only area that had dirt was around the camera which is open. Cleaned the phone and found no scratches.
Testament to a good design.
The back of this clear case is polycarbonate and the sides are rubberized. The top and top sides have a silver metal band for corner drop protection.
Time will tell on yellowing. The two year old case's polycarbonate back did not yellow.
Got it with a discount and free shipping for $36.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
I got my black 14 Pro Max in Nov. ‘22. Between Christmas and New Year ‘22 I’d already complained to Apple Support that the Apple Clear case had literally chipped the finish off the band all the way round. Lesson learnt.

The AC guy on the phone empathised-I said I loved the phone so wanted to see it, but needed a case to protect it. He told me that the clear case is designed to go on and stay, coming off once in a blue moon to maybe give everything a wipe over. It destroyed the finish on my phone as I used to like using it caseless when at home.

AC replaced it and I bought an Apple leather case with microfibre lining. Not one mark on the phone to this day. Never getting a clear case again, microfibre lined cases only going forward.

I’ve got a 15PM on the way, really procrastinating over wether to get an Xtremeskins edge protector and just go caseless all the time, but concerned about the fragility of the 15PM even with AC.

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8562.jpeg
    IMG_8562.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8560.jpeg
    IMG_8560.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 124

Skuraj-

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
I believe coso is correct. Trapped dirt and particles. Before putting a case on, I always make sure the inside of the case is cleaned as well as the phone.

Now, why can't Apple make a phone that doesn't scratch?
Couldn't agree more.
I bought the watch and I feel it is more scratch-resistant than the iPhone, are they made of different materials?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.