Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Tried a search but no luck. I do several water activities (swim, SUP, wingfoil, kitefoil) and my SE1 worked great for tracking/logging, but the standard glass lens/bumper cases would always get water underneath making the Haptic Touch control useless. So I’d alway take the case off for my water activities. Finally caught up with me and I dropped my watch in the shower at the YMCA after a workout swim. Badly cracked so i just ordered an SE2. It’s really all I need except for the glass durability issue.

This time I’m going to try a “waterproof“ lens/bumper case from Amazon. They seem to get ok reviews. I might also try an Otter Box bumper (no screen) and see how that goes. Any recent experience or opinions?

Just for fun here’s a link to to a wing foil session using ”Waterspeed” app on my SE1 synched with a GoPro Max video. Impressed with the accuracy of the SE gps tracking.

16064601-FCF5-47A4-9EB3-87BB9878C5F1.jpeg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Tried a search but no luck. I do several water activities (swim, SUP, wingfoil, kitefoil) and my SE1 worked great for tracking/logging, but the standard glass lens/bumper cases would always get water underneath making the Haptic Touch control useless. So I’d alway take the case off for my water activities. Finally caught up with me and I dropped my watch in the shower at the YMCA after a workout swim. Badly cracked so i just ordered an SE2. It’s really all I need except for the glass durability issue.

This time I’m going to try a “waterproof“ lens/bumper case from Amazon. They seem to get ok reviews. I might also try an Otter Box bumper (no screen) and see how that goes. Any recent experience or opinions?

Just for fun here’s a link to to a wing foil session using ”Waterspeed” app on my SE1 synched with a GoPro Max video. Impressed with the accuracy of the SE gps tracking.

View attachment 2183255

Waste of money from the way I read it. The only place 'waterproof' is the area over the screen. Water will still be free to enter the ports and around the buttons (if possible). I would doubt that water would ever enter through the screen. *shrug* Anything realistically claiming to be 'waterproof' should do more than secure the screen from water IMO. That's a light lift there...

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
“Waste of money from the way I read it. The only place 'waterproof' is the area over the screen. Water will still be free to enter the ports and around the buttons (if possible). I would doubt that water would ever enter through the screen. *shrug* Anything realistically claiming to be 'waterproof' should do more than secure the screen from water IMO. That's a light lift there...”

I guess the “waterproof” description for the case is confusing since the area between the case screen and the Watch screen is really the only location where keeping the water out is important for the Haptic Touch control to continue working. I just want the touch screen to keep working with the case in place while I’m in the water, which I’m assuming is just what this case should provide. The watch itself has all the actual waterproofing. Or am I missing something here??

Reactions: addamas

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
“Waste of money from the way I read it. The only place 'waterproof' is the area over the screen. Water will still be free to enter the ports and around the buttons (if possible). I would doubt that water would ever enter through the screen. *shrug* Anything realistically claiming to be 'waterproof' should do more than secure the screen from water IMO. That's a light lift there...”

I guess the “waterproof” description for the case is confusing since the area between the case screen and the Watch screen is really the only location where keeping the water out is important for the Haptic Touch control to continue working. I just want the touch screen to keep working with the case in place while I’m in the water, which I’m assuming is just what this case should provide. The watch itself has all the actual waterproofing. Or am I missing something here??

Good point, but water isn't going to stop the haptic feelings to stop being felt unless you are wearing a wetsuit. The sounds should also be heard underwater. I'm not an acoustic engineer but since that case is advertised as 'waterproof', and all it protects is the crystal screen, I'm skeptical. Perhaps the only use for it would be to interact with the screen which would be impossible under water, but to describe it as 'waterproof' seems silly, to me... If that is the reason it was created, they should skip the waterproof promise and state that all it allows the wearer to do is interact with the screen. That does not reach the level of being 'waterproof' in my opinion. *shrug*

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Yeah, waterproof is really not the right description. That’s why I put it in itallics. With an uncovered watch face the Haptic Touch works fine with bare fingers in the water. The instant any water gets in between the case screen and the watch glass, my touch control just quits working even with bare fingers, so I have to take the case off while doing water stuff. It’s been that way ever since I started using the basic pop on case-covers. I think these newer cases are only meant to keep the Haptic Touch control functioning when in the water, so not really a conventional waterproofing function

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Not 'haptic control', and much as the screen working. My experience with the AW and showers has been rather not good. Previous models would sometimes appear to freak out occasionally with water drops hitting the screen. Didn't hurt anything, but was odd. The 7 seems to take it in stride, no issues, but I'm not in water that much. It was ironic, perhaps, that my previous 7 died on the way home from a vacation where it did not encounter any salt water at all.

PS: I've never been able to control the AW while in the shower. The water seems to be a huge distraction for it most times. I have to dry both it and my finger(s) off to get it to work. I never toch the button or crown when it's wet. Not a good idea...

Last edited:

roman59

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011

View attachment 2183255
I have got my first wing foil lesson tomorrow, wish me luck :)

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
I have got my first wing foil lesson tomorrow, wish me luck :)

How did the lesson go? Some say it’s a steep learning curve in the beginning but once you’re getting up on foil consistently it becomes way more fun and addictive. If a klutzy 64 yr old geezer with a faulty right knee and left shoulder like me can do it, any can😜

roman59

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
It went really well, I can control the wing with no issues after the lesson, you are the same age as me & I come from a windsurfing background.
I bought a Naish setup a couple of weeks ago, really good prices on kit here in the UK 40% off.

Reactions: Foilguy

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Congrats on the lesson. It’s interesting to see all the long time windsurfers coming into wingfoiling. Seems like many of them skipped over the whole kiteboarding craze.

Back on topic. I actually tried out the new Misxi bumper case (from Amazon) with the added rubber seal to keep water from getting under the glass screen cover and so far it’s working great! One pool session and one wing foil session with plenty of hard slams into the water, and I never lost the touch functionality. We’ll see how long it holds up.

This is the GPS track of my wingfoil session using the “Waterspeed” app. Really happy with it.

Attachments

• 6D1BA77A-BE35-4A47-8E74-CFAF4CB97369.jpeg
    6D1BA77A-BE35-4A47-8E74-CFAF4CB97369.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

roman59

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Looks and sounds good, I will be using my Ultra when I get out on the water (one of the reasons I got one).

I did try kiteboarding but had a bad experience with it & it was not for me at least with a wing you can just let go of it unlike being attached to a kite.

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
I’m sure the Ultra will hold up much better than the SE2 when it comes to durability, but since these bumper cases are reasonably cheap and now water compatible (so far) I’m confident this new SE will last longer than my last one.

Yeah, kiteboarding can be pretty intimidating. Even a few severe injuries/deaths in the early days when the gear was crude. I did it for 20 years (even taught for a few) but the knees finally told me they were done. Strapless foiling is waaay more cushiony on the knees for us old timers. Still miss my kiteboard jumpin days but happy I can still be on the water with these new fangled foil sports😀

Attachments

• 1A6E93DD-656D-43CA-83F0-6E6AD5B15B8B.jpeg
    1A6E93DD-656D-43CA-83F0-6E6AD5B15B8B.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 43

Foilguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
One more follow up on this mixsi “rubber seal” bumper case. Five pool swim sessions and 4 wingfoil sessions. Haven’t taken the case off once. Touch screen works perfectly. It’s a winner!

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 53
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.