Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Did the camera ’block’ get slightly moved or the depth change. I know the depth didn’t change on the iPad itself. I am looking at some cases that say only compatible with gen 1 or 2. Some cases compatible with gen 3 and all. Seems like if cutout is designed exactly around camera then get gen 2 design will not work with gen 3.

Last edited:

jinjo

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2020
I wonder about this too. Considering a trade-in to the 2021 Ipad Pro 11 (from 2020). Using a 'Zugu Alpha' Case that I like very much and would prefer not to have to buy another.

12CTCT12

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
On the Apple website the folio listed for the 3rd gen says it’s compatible with 1st and 2nd so I guess the camera bump is in the same place

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Did the camera ’block’ get slightly moved or the depth change. I know the depth didn’t change on the iPad itself. I am looking at some cases that say only compatible with gen 1 or 2. Some cases compatible with gen 3 and all. Seems like if cutout is designed exactly around camera then get gen 2 design will not work with gen 3.
There is a lot of confusion over this. There are some schematics that have been posted that show different dimensions for the camera assembly for the 5th gen compared to the prior devices. However I found a 3rd party folio on Amazon that’s supposedly compatible with the 5th gen iPad Pro 12.9. At least that’s what the product description says. It’s essentially a copy of Apple’s Smart Folio for the iPad. So I ordered it, it’s a lot cheaper than Apple’s, figuring that at least I would have one useable case for the 5th gen until I decided how much money I wanted to spend on a case/keyboard.

I now have that case and it matches exactly the dimensions and camera cutout area of my Magic Keyboard. Even the magnet areas appear to line up. So either the current MKB will line up properly with the the new 5th gen iPad or this $25 folio is not really 5th gen compatible. If it actually is compatible then the camera area has not changed enough to affect anything.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
For the iPad Pro 11 nothing seems to have changed; my wife got me a Magic Keyboard yesterday and I secretly went to Apple Support to make sure that it’s going to be compatible with the 3rd gen iPP 11 (secretly because I didn’t want her to know that I might have to return it; she knows I’m getting the new iPad). They told me that the current MKB is compatible with the new iPad, and the Apple site seems to confirm that.

The only thing I’ve really heard rumored is that the 5th gen iPP 12.9” is a tiny bit thicker than the previous gen and that the current MKBs may not fit right with it. There has been speculation that the magnets may also not line up the same on the bigger iPad but I haven’t really seen that anywhere but here. But for you, the iPP 11 seems to be the same so older cases/keyboards should be fine.

Reactions: Wags

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
For the iPad Pro 11 nothing seems to have changed; my wife got me a Magic Keyboard yesterday and I secretly went to Apple Support to make sure that it’s going to be compatible with the 3rd gen iPP 11 (secretly because I didn’t want her to know that I might have to return it; she knows I’m getting the new iPad). They told me that the current MKB is compatible with the new iPad, and the Apple site seems to confirm that.

The only thing I’ve really heard rumored is that the 5th gen iPP 12.9” is a tiny bit thicker than the previous gen and that the current MKBs may not fit right with it. There has been speculation that the magnets may also not line up the same on the bigger iPad but I haven’t really seen that anywhere but here. But for you, the iPP 11 seems to be the same so older cases/keyboards should be fine.
The Apple folio and keyboard have some room around camera so expected those. Probably somewhat of marketing tactic. Companies saying we already have the case for gen 3.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
On the Apple website the folio listed for the 3rd gen says it’s compatible with 1st and 2nd so I guess the camera bump is in the same place
Yes, except it’s the only one that says that. Otterbox says only gen 3 compatible and the other cases listed with gen 2 compatibility are not listed. So that’s what makes me questioning. Lots of different manufacturers list gen 3 separate. Maybe just marketing strategy.

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone able to confirm if 1st and 2nd gen 11" cases work with 3rd gen? Really hoping to reuse an Otterbox case.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Anyone able to confirm if 1st and 2nd gen 11" cases work with 3rd gen? Really hoping to reuse an Otterbox case.
It looks like the only difference is the speaker holes. Two less per side on 2021. If you have the first or second gen it should fit, just have holes or cutout with no speakers in part. If try and use a case just manufactured for gen 3 then would cover up two of the speaker holes. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: julesme and rhyx

shaakra

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Hello. I got the new iPad Pro 11 inch today. I bought a spigen tough armor pro case but since this new iPad has 8 speaker holes on all four corners, the case is covering up 2 of the 8 holes on all 4 sides. My question is, can the speaker holes being covered cause damage to the speaker internal by itself? Will this cause distortion? Should I return this case and get something else?
Posting a picture. Thanks

Attachments

• 57963589-876F-4D24-ACE2-DDE4DE372A90.jpeg
    57963589-876F-4D24-ACE2-DDE4DE372A90.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 130

Wags

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Hello. I got the new iPad Pro 11 inch today. I bought a spigen tough armor pro case but since this new iPad has 8 speaker holes on all four corners, the case is covering up 2 of the 8 holes on all 4 sides. My question is, can the speaker holes being covered cause damage to the speaker internal by itself? Will this cause distortion? Should I return this case and get something else?
Posting a picture. Thanks
Return and get something else. Get one just made for the 2021 or one with different cutout for the speakers. Don’t think would cause damage but think would distort the sound. I knew Apple removed some speaker holes but also appears the alignment changed.

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
EU
I presume that Apple Smart Folio for 2. Gen 11" should work perfect for 3. Gen? Local store has Cyprus Green on a discount, and I will buy it tomorrow if it fits as it should to 2021 11".

Reactions: Wags
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.