Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
Hi everyone, im new to the forum

I recently upgrade to 12 Pro Max, i know its not as good upgrade to 13.
But im looking for a case, but i confused between UAG Monarch or Otterbox Defender??

From EverythingApplePro Drop test it seems UAG Monarch can handle so much impact from drops, but in the amazon review there's a few people complaint about how the case cracked the back glass of the iPhone only from 2 feet. From the pic we can see the cracked start from the position of the screw of the case. Is anyone have any experience with this UAG Monarch?

Since otterbox defender review is good in overall (other than people are complaining about wireless charging and many screen glass is not fit with the case). But is there any experience of damaged iPhone only from a drop from ridiculously low height?

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida

But im looking for a case, but i confused between UAG Monarch or Otterbox Defender??

From EverythingApplePro Drop test it seems UAG Monarch can handle so much impact from drops, but in the amazon review there's a few people complaint about how the case cracked the back glass of the iPhone only from 2 feet. From the pic we can see the cracked start from the position of the screw of the case. Is anyone have any experience with this UAG Monarch?

Since otterbox defender review is good in overall (other than people are complaining about wireless charging and many screen glass is not fit with the case). But is there any experience of damaged iPhone only from a drop from ridiculously low height?

I have that UAG case. It is beautifully made and ultra protective. Nothing—nothing!—is going to happen to your phone in that case.

As for Otterbox, I think that their quality has declined. I smashed an Otterbox case in a drop a few years ago and have avoided them since.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
I have that UAG case. It is beautifully made and ultra protective. Nothing—nothing!—is going to happen to your phone in that case.

As for Otterbox, I think that their quality has declined. I smashed an Otterbox case in a drop a few years ago and have avoided them since.
Thank you for the reply. ?

So it’s really safe with monarch, well i used monarch for a long time, since my 8 plus and 11 pro max and indeed that case is very good. I have doubt because i saw that amazon review and thought maybe the quality of the case has dropped for 12 or even 13. I’ll switch to that case immediately then. But how about the screen? It seems the side lip is not very high to protect the screen, do you have any experience with that?

I really agree with your opinion about otterbox defender, their build quality has been very fragile for 12 but the design is getting slimmer. At least when dropped it mostly break the case first than the phone. Since the price is not cheap for a case, I’ll avoid this case in the future.

Thank you again friend ??

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Thank you for the reply. ?

So it’s really safe with monarch, well i used monarch for a long time, since my 8 plus and 11 pro max and indeed that case is very good. I have doubt because i saw that amazon review and thought maybe the quality of the case has dropped for 12 or even 13. I’ll switch to that case immediately then. But how about the screen? It seems the side lip is not very high to protect the screen, do you have any experience with that?

I really agree with your opinion about otterbox defender, their build quality has been very fragile for 12 but the design is getting slimmer. At least when dropped it mostly break the case first than the phone. Since the price is not cheap for a case, I’ll avoid this case in the future.

Thank you again friend ??
Just realized that I had the UAG Civilian, not the Monarch. Have you looked at that case? Anyway the Civilian has a substantial lip. I'll bet the Monarch does as well.

Last edited:

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Monarch was always my favourite uag case, they hadvissues with a bit of sag in the bottom not sure on the 12 max though. OB seem cheap feeling to me the symmetry anyway.
‘Nothing wrong with the 12 max.

Reactions: SBC44

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
Just realized that I had the UAG Civilian, not the Monarch. Have you looked at that case? Anyway the Civilian has a substantial lip. I'll bet the Monarch does as well.
I've tried that case before, but it really slippery like a soap. So i avoid it. Have you ever drop it anw with Civilian?
The lip is the same as Monarch, i guess it'll protect the screen like Monarch.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
Monarch was always my favourite uag case, they hadvissues with a bit of sag in the bottom not sure on the 12 max though. OB seem cheap feeling to me the symmetry anyway.
‘Nothing wrong with the 12 max.
May i ask where is the sag, because i cant find it? Do you have any drop experience with both of this cases? From the both of the pic i attached, the point of impact is at where the case screw is located. What do you think about this?

But i only found 3 situations like this from 308 review. Sorry for being paranoid too much by asking like this. Because im verrrryyyy (acidentally) careless with my phone.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 17.25.07.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 17.25.07.png
    967.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 17.25.36.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 17.25.36.png
    608.7 KB · Views: 225

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
May i ask where is the sag, because i cant find it? Do you have any drop experience with both of this cases? From the both of the pic i attached, the point of impact is at where the case screw is located. What do you think about this?

But i only found 3 situations like this from 308 review. Sorry for being paranoid too much by asking like this. Because im verrrryyyy (acidentally) careless with my phone.
On bottom above charge port

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I've tried that case before, but it really slippery like a soap. So i avoid it. Have you ever drop it anw with Civilian?
The lip is the same as Monarch, i guess it'll protect the screen like Monarch.
Oh yes, I've dropped my 12 Pro Max with the Civilian case. It's very protective and yes, has a substantial front lip.

rezaadrianh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2022
Thank you for reply, i used both of the cases and it handle very well.

But why i cant read any NFC cards while my phone in case? Specifically with both of that case. But the scan works while i took off the case.

Is that normal issue? Have anyone experienced something like this too?

Thank you in advance.

har9020

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2022
Small Town, USA

This isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I quite like the VISOUL leather flip wallet case cover. When I use that one I don't even need to carry my wallet with me anymore. Phone is bounded in rubber and has magnetic closure. I have other cases that are sturdier, but it's overkill. The VISOUL works great and it is easier to get the phone out of it than from the harder-shell cases. Broke two nails trying to get my 12 PM out of other cases. Right now, though, I'm using a silicon case from the Apple Store. I've never had to suffer the "drop test" because I'm careful with my phones by nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.