Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is that the case?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • most of the time

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • sometimes

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 34.5%

• Total voters

brosmooth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
With all these new iphone users and people with just new phones in general how many use a case?

personally i dont like to use a case, i think it makes it more bulky in my pocket and its a sexy phone, as sexy as a phone can get..., but i like to look at it and admire

(i know its not an original post, its just the iPhone 3GS has been out for a few days now and more people have had time to decide weather to get a case or not, ect ect...)

thank you

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Every once in a while when I'm feeling vulnerable I slip on a little extra protection.

Usually in the form of a soft case.;)

ceiph

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
1 year, no case my screen is perfect, the back is scratched up. im ok with it but thats a risk with you

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I hate cases (they add bulk) and I hate films (very difficult to apply perfectly) so I don't use either.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
My standard reply for similar OTHER 5,555 threads: Why in gawd's name would I even think about NOT wearing PROTECTION....:p:p:p

That kinda sums up my phone. I don't have a case, but I have Invisible Shield. It's exactly like laminating 95 percent of the phone. I can't use a case because of my car holder, which unfortunately I can't exactly use right now anyway. My car mount came with three adapters, one for iPhone, one for iPod touch, one for iPhone 3G. Somewhere in the mess of boxes in the garage or storage building, there is a small box with the 3G adapter. Needle in a haystack.

iphoneftw

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
a naked iphone is a happy iphone
if u dont let the iphone breath the ghost of apple newton will haunt you
368px-apple_newton.jpg

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
About an hour ago I dropped my 3GS on to a tile floor from about pocket height. I haven't dropped an iPhone in ages.

My iFrogz case protected it and there was no damage to the 3GS.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I use a thin silicon black cover. I love the look of the iPhone uncovered but my 2G back case and bezel just got destroyed from everyday use...
I want to keep the 3GS (black 16G) looking new...
I am thinking of getting the Mophie Air and that acts as a case as well...

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Never used a case for the 2G or 3G. Thought I'd get a case for the 3GS and picked up a SwitchEasy Color...just too bulky and not worth it. Screen protector and that's it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't use a case except when I go to the airport through security. The TSA is pretty rough with electronics.

When I first bought my 3G I used one for a few months and stopped when I discovered it was actually scratching my phone pretty badly--why use it then?

A couple of weekends ago I had my iphone in my hand when my friend who has a tendency to use wild gestures literally sent it flying out of my hand onto the asphalt. It actually flew above my head and I was sure it was doomed. Not so, picked it up and the screen was fine--just a few nicks in the plastic where it made impact. I was quite impressed.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
I didn't use a case with my iPhone 3G and I also didn't use a screen protector.

I learned from my 3G that you should at least have a screen protector. My 3G is now torn apart.

My 3GS has a screen protector, which will definitely be on there forever(i recommend the anti-glare ones) & i also have a case which doesn't add too much bulk. (incase frame case) I love incase cases because they don't add much size to the phone.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
My standard reply for similar OTHER 5,555 threads: Why in gawd's name would I even think about NOT wearing PROTECTION....:p:p:p

Calm down it's not like your iPhone will procreate and multiply if you don't have PROTECTION, wait! That's a good idea!

*takes case off

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I use a case about 85% of the time. This is something I have done since I bought the first iPhone on launch day 2 years ago. The nice thing is that since those original cases, more and more cases have been produced that are not big and bulky, but still provide protection from scratches and minor drops. A lot of people only think about a case being used in case of a drop, but for me the case is more for protection from normal wear and tear. Most cases I have used will give adequate protection from a fall of 3-5 feet depending on how the phone lands. The only time I have my phone out of the case is if I am at home not planning on going anywhere or if my phone is charging at night. I rarely leave the house without a case on. Between my iPhone and iPhone 3G, cases have saved me in a few minor drops and have saved me probably thousands of scratches on the backs and sides. If you are new to iPhones and undecided on cases, I suggest watching some case reviews on YouTube and checking out your local Apple store. Invest in one and see how you like it before you completely say yes or no to using a case with the phone. You did spend at least a couple hundred dollars on the phone, you should at least attempt to keep it looking nice.

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I keep a very thing silicone case on mine, mainly so when I have it in my truck, sitting in it's little cubby area below the stereo, it doesn't slide around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.