Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hesoba

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Ive got my Pro's since 2 Weeks now and the Case shows a noticeable amount of scratches, not deep ones, but the micro ones, which you can see in good lighting conditions.

Is this normal? I mean, yeah, its the shi**y glossy white plastic, but I did expect to last a bit longer

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Nothing you can do about it. You can baby it all you want and carry it inside a felt lined pouch but it will still get covered in those micro scratches.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
It has a clearcoat paint finish- you could wax the thing to reduce the scratches, but honestly, it goes with the territory. It would be a whole lot worse if it were gloss black, that's for sure.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Ive got my Pro's since 2 Weeks now and the Case shows a noticeable amount of scratches, not deep ones, but the micro ones, which you can see in good lighting conditions.

Is this normal? I mean, yeah, its the shi**y glossy white plastic, but I did expect to last a bit longer
Yes, it was the same with previous generation. The case is prone to scratches, but quite durable.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Yep normal. Material isn't that durable. With my Airpods 2, after a month my case is showing quite a bit of micro abrasions. Nothing terrible, but just weird that I only carry them in a pocket by themselves. My iPhone X never has scratches that are noticeable, but oh well. I cant stand the ugly cases that you can buy for them to "protect" the case. Defeats the purpose of just flipping the top and taking them out easily.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It is a case though. There are cases to protect the case. But then again, thcase, protecting the case will get scratched...

One possibility: There is this display polishing paste for the former plastic phone screens. Fabulous for polishing CDs etc. and things like this case. Works very well.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
BTW, a quick buff with automotive swirl remover wax gets rid of a lot of the micro abrasions. I did it when I sold my 2nd gens and the case looked great. Only downside is that they’ll be really slippery.

todundsteuern

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Nothing you can do about it. Three things in life are inevitable: death, taxes, and your AirPods case getting scratched up no matter how you try to take care of it.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Ya it sucks. I wish I would had a bought a d_brand skin right away.

todundsteuern

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
I'm just one of those people with borderline OCD that wants to keep their stuff looking pristine for as long as possible.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Unfortunately it's normal because the plastic they use to make the case is crap. It's the same plastic they use on chargers, Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard... You don't even have to touch it to get it scratched, airborne dust particles will do it on their own. Terrible... Just terrible.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I've always kept my AirPods Pro in a pocket with nothing else inside (wool dress pants). I'm surprised the case is still covered in micro abrasions. I generally have OCD with keeping my items in pristine shape but this doesn't bother me too much. The AirPods are meant to be used and in one or two years we will be moving on to the next new AirPods anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.