Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonKnize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Hi,
I have OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4 on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", 2014). I am using mac for a month. Everything is great except one thing: CASE-SENSITIVE type of boot disk. Steam is ok, I can install it on another partition and other apps too, but Adobe soft can't. I would like to transform my case-sensitive disk to normal, but I am not sure how to do that. I don't wanna to lose my data. I have two tips.

1. iPartition - is it really save solution? Can it do that?

2. Carbon Copy Cloner - I have 30 trial version. My theory is - copy boot partition (case-sensitive) to second partition (not case-sensitive; both partition are on one disk) and make the second boot partition. After reformat the first one to none case-sensitive and copy data back and make it boot partition again. Is it solid solution? Have my theory mistakes? Do you have any experience or tutorial how to do that save?

Thanks for help, ideas and answer.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
2. Carbon Copy Cloner - I have 30 trial version. My theory is - copy boot partition (case-sensitive) to second partition (not case-sensitive; both partition are on one disk) and make the second boot partition. After reformat the first one to none case-sensitive and copy data back and make it boot partition again. Is it solid solution? Have my theory mistakes? Do you have any experience or tutorial how to do that save?

That will work just fine. You might want to also clone the partition off to an external first just in case things go badly.

Reactions: DonKnize

DonKnize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Maybe little tutorial for others:

1. I clone my boot partition to another partition with insensitive format by Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Set up backup on as Recovery HD

3. Set backup as startup disk

4. Restart Mac

5. Turn off Carbon Copy Cloner (my Disk Utility didn't allow me erase disk until that)

6. Erase previous partition and format to insensitive.

7. Get data back by CCC.

8. Setup as startup disk.

9. Restart and voiala!

(It is good to have more backups for safe.)

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.