Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
which camera should i get, the casio exilim ex-s500 or the panasonic lumix dmc-fx9??? i can get them both for 350 so price is not the issue. the casio has a beautiful, ultra slim exterior and its orangeeeee. but i think the panasonic is a better camera on the inside with better image quality. but i cant get over the casio's look. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

passaickid

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
Think carefully if you buy Casio and have a Mac

I bought a Casio s500 this summer. Be careful if you are considering doing the same!

What is nowhere to be found in any review of this camera is that the video files you take on the Casio s500 is not out-of-the-box able to be played on your Mac !!

For 2 months there was not even a patch to allow this . Now Casio has offered one up but...it doesn't always work. I have 2 Macs --both running Tiger 10.4.2 and the patch works on one but not the other.

I am going to return my Casio---it is simply to much of a hassle to use.

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
The casio's are extremely beautiful designed, I own the Exilim Z3 myself and must say I bought it primarely on that basis.
But picture quality is poor, colors are flat and you don't have a lot of options, which, especially at darker places can really be an issue. Perhaps they improved on the picture quality but somehow I doubt it. I wouldnt buy one again but it does the job.

adriaan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2005
Belgium
I own the FX-8 and I absolutely LOVE it! It may not look as trendy, but it's a great camera with lots of useful features (for example, it's the only one in that segment to sport an optical image stabiliser... the effect of which is definitely noticeable)

The only downside of the panasonic FX-8/9 -- that I can think of -- is that they don't encode to MPEG4, which limits its usefulness as a videocamera. But oh well, who shoots more than like 10' of movie clips (and then watches them again) anyway :)

ouphe

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Where are you planning on buying these cameras for $350 apiece, out of curiosity? I'm currently looking for a nice carry-with-me-every-to-document-everything-everywhere digital camera, and these both look like they might fit the bill.

Thanks!

-Colin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.