Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I’ve been digging recently and found out that Catalina hasn’t removed 32 bit libraries from kernel, but merely disabled them.

As for 32 bit system libraries, these can be copied over from Mojave.

did anyone experiment with this and managed to make 32 bit apps work?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Well you could. But that would like copying everything from Mojave. In the end you would just be Mojave running instead of Catalina.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Well you could. But that would like copying everything from Mojave. In the end you would just be Mojave running instead of Catalina.

not quite, it would be Catalina with a bit extra.

Apple is gonna drop the support for Mojave next year around this time. With modified Catalina, people can use 32 bit apps for a while longer and still have a supported OS.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Uhm, no. The 64/32 bit libraries aren't separated files on disk. They are the same files that supports both architectures. Apple changes a lot of things in private system libraries with each macOS update. Merging the 32bit part of all the libraries with the 64bit in Catalina would be mess. It's hard enough to reuse a few components from a previous macOS release (see the "macOS whatever on unsupported Macs" threads).

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
With modified Catalina, people can use 32 bit apps for a while longer and still have a supported OS.
It wouldn't be supported. It wouldn't be patchable. It'd break every time Catalina updated. Depending on what bugs post-Mojave got fixed, you'd be re-introducing those bugs by trying to copy Mojave libraries around. So you wouldn't just run Mojave because...?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
It wouldn't be supported. It wouldn't be patchable. It'd break every time Catalina updated. Depending on what bugs post-Mojave got fixed, you'd be re-introducing those bugs by trying to copy Mojave libraries around. So you wouldn't just run Mojave because...?

No one said “you shouldn’t just run Mojave”. This is just an experiment which could potentially buy people some more time. Heck, I don’t even depend on any 32 bit app, so I wouldn’t even benefit from this in any way.

You are right that with every update it is likely that problems can arise.

I’ll install Catalina inside virtual machine and see how it goes, I will share my results here.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
No one said “you shouldn’t just run Mojave”. This is just an experiment which could potentially buy people some more time.
It's meaningless. Apple has been telling people for years that 32-bit was going away. "More time" to do what? To blame Apple for $RANDOM_SOFTWARE_PUBLISHER not updating their software? That doesn't work, Adobe (for example) *did* update their software, people whine about that. If they haven't moved by now, some random hack isn't going to make them move *later*.

Just run Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.