Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hey how can I get a dmg file for Catalina instead of the official app from the app store? I need just the dmg file. Can I get it from Apple?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not from Apple I'm almost certain.

Also, I'm not sure a clone DMG of an installer would work. There might be something that requires it be built from the Catalina installer app. Someone else might know.

Either way there's no official way to get a DMG.

Is this a case of not having a working Mac to create the installer from the installation app?

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Not from Apple I'm almost certain.

Also, I'm not sure a clone DMG of an installer would work. There might be something that requires it be built from the Catalina installer app. Someone else might know.

Either way there's no official way to get a DMG.

Is this a case of not having a working Mac to create the installer from the installation app?
No I just need it for a vm and I don’t know if a bootable usb with the app will be accepted by the vm for boot

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You can create your own from the Install macOS Catalina app
Here's my method
Code:
hdiutil create 1015.dmg -size 8g -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

hdiutil attach 1015.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/InstallCatalina

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/InstallCatalina

hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Catalina 

hdiutil resize -sectors min 1015.dmg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.