Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Want to stay logged in with Apple ID - for App Store etc.

I NEVER WANT to use iCloud.

I use my mac for business work. I have signed NDAs with companies and I cannot / will not / am unable to use iCloud - because I do not have control over the Apple servers.

iCloud quickly starts to merge data onto the Apple Cloud and this must not happen.

Every time I try to only set up AppleID, then I get logged into iCloud - log out of the latter and I also get logged out of AppleID.

Solutions?

Edit: AppleID login from system prefs -> then cancel the login when it asks for iCloud seems to stop the iCloud login whilst not cancelling AppleID.
Still struggling with the 'deleted' daemon process using CPU (which seems related to not letting Apple force me to use it's iCloud ), but one step of Catalina %#$ at a time...

Last edited:

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Did you deselect each entry in Apps on this Mac using iCloud?

DS
Yep - but I don't trust this to be respected - at some point some macOS update will "accidentally" turn this back on.
This iCloud %# is as annoying as MS OneDrive.

I just don't want this cloud stuff and I want an option to avoid it completely.

NB: I do radar development as a day-job so am not a Luddite.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Yep - but I don't trust this to be respected - at some point some macOS update will "accidentally" turn this back on.
This iCloud %# is as annoying as MS OneDrive.

I just don't want this cloud stuff and I want an option to avoid it completely.

NB: I do radar development as a day-job so am not a Luddite.

I don’t understand.
Apple conveniently gives us little switches to turn on and off each and every iCloud functionality, but you don’t trust it?
Time to move to another vendor probably.

Besides, you might want to have a chat with your legal guys about what you can do and not do in compliance with the NDAs you have signed.
I‘ve never seen an NDA with restriction on usage of cloud systems.
To place a document on a cloud service is not the same thing as sharing it with the service provider.
But even is there was such an unusual clause, then simply don’t upload any document to iCloud files (in fact, just turn it off) and switch off iCloud email and calendar. Nothing will spontaneously upload your documents. Really that’s all there is to it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.