Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glucas32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2024
I have a Macbook Air (A1466) (Catalina 10.15.6) that will not launch recovery mode or accept user admin login password. After exploring the password recovery link, I see that the boot volume is encrypted (Filevalut?), but I am unable to change the startup volume or erase the HD. I am unable to reset the password or the startup disk both actions fail. The system has only one USER account. I was able to turn off decryption once and change the admin password once, but subsequent attempts to enter those passwords or change them again failed. There is no recovery partition. The only utility accessible is Password reset which isn't functional.

Other things I've tried:
  1. Reset PRAM: FAIL
  2. Reset SMC: FAIL
  3. Safe mode: FAIL
  4. Target disk mode from another healthy MacBook Air: FAIL
  5. Boot from USB (bootable Catalina installer): FAILS (since recovery mode isn't accessible)
  6. Internet recovery: FAILS as it won't accept known passwords for WIFI
  7. I have also tried a secondary keyboard -- same results.
  8. Verbose mode will launch, but just immediately launches into Password Recovery.
Seems to me that FileVault has hosed the OS or the SSD. Am I on the right track?
Nothing of the device is of importance. Happy to just wipe and reinstall, but can't see how.

I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
It appears the mac is locked with a firmware password. You need to contact the previous owner, or get help from Apple if you can prove you are the rightful owner.

With 10.15 Catalina and later there is a way to set a firmware password that disables any possibilities of password recovery even from Apple, as detailed in the last part of this support ducument.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Well, first confirm that it is a firmware password. You will see a black/white padlock symbol when trying to boot into Recovery, which is different from the normal user-password dialog.

IMG_6399.jpeg

It is very unlikely an unknowing owner has managed to set a firmware password ”by accident”, but if that is the case contact Apple support. If the mac was issued by a company or institution ask them. Or previous owner if it was sold used. Otherwise bricked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.