Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I have a MacBook Air that is maxed out and unable to compete an upgrade to Big Sir. It starts the process, but then stops with a message that it can't continue due to lack of hard drive storage. And I had a screen problem with it flickering on half the screen. So I put it down 3 years ago, thinking I might try to sell it on eBay as a "part out". I deleted a lot of programs but still did gain enough space for the upgrade.

I did see a file that was labeled "install MacOS Big Sir" which is around 12 GB. I'm wondering if this machine would continue to operate if I deleted this 12 GB files. It's clearly labeled something about Big Sir.

Reactions: SahinaTom

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
So what is it that you're trying to do? Free up space or install Big Sur? Sell the system?

You can go ahead and delete the installer if you're not going to install Big Sur onto it. When selling it, it would be best do leave it on Catalina and wipe the system to let the next user decide what to do with it.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
So what is it that you're trying to do? Free up space or install Big Sur? Sell the system?

You can go ahead and delete the installer if you're not going to install Big Sur onto it. When selling it, it would be best do leave it on Catalina and wipe the system to let the next user decide what to do with it.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.