Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
Posting to share my experience with Catalina 10.15.1 on my 2015 rMBP 2.5/512GB/AMD Radeon M370X.

Decided to do a clean install, so I made my USB stick, backed everything up, booted to recovery mode and erased the drive and did the install. Entire process was about 45 minutes and trouble free.

Installed all my apps, including MS Office 365 version 16.30, and everything is great. Speedy, no problems.

Start working on a Word doc, and notice, every time I highlight text I get a kernel panic and the system reboots. Every time. tried a different document. Tried a new document. Every time I highlight text a kernel panic reboot. Went through about 30 reboots trying different things. This is a fresh install of Office 365. No plugins, add-ons, templates, macros or anything else.

Was getting ready to go back to Mojave and found some advice to download a slightly older version of Office (16.29), so I uninstalled Office per Microsoft instruction and re-installed the old version, disabling automatic updates. Problem solved!

From what I gather on the internet, it's a problem only with 2015 MPB. For what it's worth, my significant other has a 2019 13" MBP, running Catalina 10.15.1 and Office 16.30 and has no such problem.

Posting as I did not see anything in this forum regarding the problem. Found the eventual solution via Reddit:

EDIT to correct link: https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/dp1v61
Hope this helps someone else!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.