Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varxx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
QUESTION: How critical is it to use a version of Mac OS that is still receiving current security updates? I'm running Catalina very happily on my trusty late-2013 MacBook Pro and am not too keen on updating to Big Sur.

BACKGROUND: I just read something about Apple no longer issuing security updates for older versions of MacOS. Judging from the table on this page, I think that might be right. A security update for Catalina was last released in July 2022. Big Sur, Monterrey and Ventura were all issued security updates in October 2022.

Maybe everyone here knows this, but apparently the pattern is for Apple to provide security support for the current OS version and two previous versions but none before that, according to this discussion item, backed up by this very informative article.

Reactions: ThomasJL

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
QUESTION: How critical is it to use a version of Mac OS that is still receiving current security updates? I'm running Catalina very happily on my trusty late-2013 MacBook Pro and am not too keen on updating to Big Sur.
Apple is now only guaranteeing that the current major OS version is getting full security updates. There are no more security updates at all for Catalina, but in general the previous 2 versions will get some degree of updates as well.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm... the Ars article has the quote "not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions" but that line doesn't appear in the actual Apple document.

varxx

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, robotica. That clarifies things. Still, just how serious is the security risk of running Catalina?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hmm... the Ars article has the quote "not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions" but that line doesn't appear in the actual Apple document.
The Apple document says this:
Note: Because of dependency on architecture and system changes to any current version of macOS (for example, macOS 13), not all known security issues are addressed in previous versions (for example, macOS 12).
That's pretty clear to me.

Reactions: zecanard

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
We must be looking at different documents. I'm looking at the one linked in the first paragraph of the Ars article (https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/about-software-updates-depc4c80847a/web, which redirects to https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depc4c80847a/web).
The en-gb page is entirely different than the US one. There's no redirect that I'm getting. https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/about-software-updates-depc4c80847a/web is titled "About Software update for Apple devices."
Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 17.51.21.png

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Thanks, robotica. That clarifies things. Still, just how serious is the security risk of running Catalina?
If you are using the computer for emails and internet banking etc. Its all at more risk without updates. You might be ok though! I personally would not risk it.

Reactions: zecanard

KFridman

macrumors regular
May 8, 2020
New York State
It's impossible to quantify something like this. It'd at least be prudent to stop using Safari altogether and instead use a current, supported browser at a minimum.
That’s exactly what I did after discussing this issue with others in this forum. Downloaded Firefox and Brave. No longer using Safari on my late 2012 iMac.

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Use a still-supported browser like Brave or Firefox and don't be an idiot online. If you do that, you can greatly mitigate the risks involved in using an older system.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Use a still-supported browser like Brave or Firefox and don't be an idiot online. If you do that, you can greatly mitigate the risks involved in using an older system.
Good advice but what exactly constitutes being an idiot online? Perhaps downloading programs or files from unauthorized sources or do you mean something else?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Good advice but what exactly constitutes being an idiot online? Perhaps downloading programs or files from unauthorized sources or do you mean something else?
A lot of people (too many) click on anything and everything, i.e. banners on websites (which depending on the site can take you to unsavoury places).
People are also suckers for anything FREE, or 'click here' for the chance of whatever....

Avoiding these sorts of things is wise.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm using Catalina on the MacBook Pro 2012 and won't include my Banking and purchasing task on that.
hopefully my data won't be at risk.
as Argyboy stated: don't be an idiot online!

Catalina might receive another security update as High Sierra did last year (I think last or this year).

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry for the long wait for a reply! By that, I meant stuff like opening unknown email attachments, clicking on unknown links in emails, using dodgy sites etc. If you're sensible with your browsing then it'll definitely help a lot. Also use something like Malwarebytes Free to scan your system now and again for any malware.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
well, Mojave runs safari 11 and firefox latest? on my 2012 macbook pro
and firefox let a malicious site almost cause harm while Safari 11 blocked that site!

my point is Safari still cares, no matter how old!

Reactions: MarkC426

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Ugh, I actually just noticed this. My 2017 iMac has Catalina and was wondering why I haven't seen updates in a while. Now I know. Eh.

I would do Big Sur...STILL not 100% certain how this iMac will handle the OS, also compatibility with some of my programs. I know I would be pushing this to the absolute limit if I did Ventura. 😢

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I stuck with Catalina until this October, then updated my 2018 Mini to Monterey. Just did not feel comfortable doing online banking/shopping with Catalina at this point. But I still run Catalina on a local fileserver and Mojave on a media server because I want to stick with iTunes/home sharing. Not too worried about those machines, they are never used for any online transactions.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Not too worried about those machines, they are never used for any online transactions.
If I'm not mistaken if an attacker were to compromise one machine on your network he could use that to access your other machines. Of course I'm not one of those dudes wearing a hoodie and mask hacking away so my knowledge isn't firsthand and might be incorrect LOL

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That could be possible, I guess. They would need to get through my router first , then somehow penetrate the security of my primary Mac with Monterey though.

I would be more worried about "internet of things" devices on my network however - which is why I don't have any. :)

Last edited:

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
well, Mojave runs safari 11 and firefox latest? on my 2012 macbook pro
and firefox let a malicious site almost cause harm while Safari 11 blocked that site!

my point is Safari still cares, no matter how old!
With respect, just because Safari 11 blocked one malicious site doesn't mean that you should use it. By that logic, we should all still be using Netscape Navigator. You should always use a current, supported, and fully-updated web browser.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
that's why i'm using my iPad / iPhone always with current software for most of my online stuff, as i'm not relying on any 3rd party apps that might be affected by system updates like they can do on Mac, while on my computers i don't mind using older stuff and "just" be careful about what i do when i get these online.

i'm not sure about it, but i also like to think that iOS should in fact be even harder to corrupt by design?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.