Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2022
Hi, I installed Catalina on a Mac Mini 4,1 (2010 model) using dosdude's patches. It shows I have version 10.15.7 installed and appears to work fine.

Unfortunately kernel_task is consuming one of the two cores, the machine feels warm and the CPU runs always at 100% frequency (2.4GHz).

I am reading that kernel_task is not the cause of my problem, but the result of the machine running hot. It's a kernel task that takes execution time so that the CPU doesn't overheat. Could it be that Catalina can't put the CPU to sleep since MacMini4,1 is unsupported? Or maybe that it can't measure the temperatures?

BTW I tried myself to read the temperatures, but the commands I tried report "unsupported". It seems temperature readings are not supported. I tried the following system commands but none work:
  • powermetrics --samplers smc ("This system doesn't support display of c-state info. unable to get smc values")
  • thermal levels ("Thermal levels are unsupported on this machine")
I also re-applied the dosdude patches from a boot drive (with "force cache rebuild" enabled). Didn't help unfortunately.

Any ideas? Anybody else with a Mac Mini 4,1 running Catalina? Can you tell me if "kernel_task" shows up when running top? What program are you using to see the temperatures?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, I installed Catalina on a Mac Mini 4,1 (2010 model) using dosdude's patches. It shows I have version 10.15.7 installed and appears to work fine.

Unfortunately kernel_task is consuming one of the two cores, the machine feels warm and the CPU runs always at 100% frequency (2.4GHz).

I am reading that kernel_task is not the cause of my problem, but the result of the machine running hot. It's a kernel task that takes execution time so that the CPU doesn't overheat. Could it be that Catalina can't put the CPU to sleep since MacMini4,1 is unsupported? Or maybe that it can't measure the temperatures?

BTW I tried myself to read the temperatures, but the commands I tried report "unsupported". It seems temperature readings are not supported. I tried the following system commands but none work:
  • powermetrics --samplers smc ("This system doesn't support display of c-state info. unable to get smc values")
  • thermal levels ("Thermal levels are unsupported on this machine")
I also re-applied the dosdude patches from a boot drive (with "force cache rebuild" enabled). Didn't help unfortunately.

Any ideas? Anybody else with a Mac Mini 4,1 running Catalina? Can you tell me if "kernel_task" shows up when running top?
Perhaps an obvious question: is the fan connected and working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.