Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rachalmers

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
UK
Ok, System told me the upgrade was ready.
I went ahead.
It got to the Estimating time remaining stage. And is just sitting there.
A tap on the power button starts that bit again, telling me
9 minutes remaining
25 minutes remaining
Estimating time remaining.

nothing for hours now. Is there a suggested course of action?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,170

rachalmers

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
UK
I was just watching it... like paint drying... and suddenly it tells me it has about 18 minutes left. Then goes back to ‘Estimating time...’
So apparently it’s doing something......... very........ slowly......
So I’ll leave it a few more hours and see what happens.
I live in hope.

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
I'm in the exact same boat with the indicator bar at the same place. It's been like that for about 3 hours now... (installing on a 2012 Mac mini)

rachalmers

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
UK
I'm in the exact same boat with the indicator bar at the same place. It's been like that for about 3 hours now... (installing on a 2012 Mac mini)
I’m just going to leave mine overnight. Fortunately I don’t have to use it till tomorrow. What then I don’t know.

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
UPDATE: The progress bar finished after about 5 hours of being stuck at about 10%. :) It's now rebooted and is going slowly again... but it's about 1/3rd of the way now. Thankfully my Mac mini isn't my main machine so it's not interrupting my day too much. (I started downloading/installing Catalina update about 14 hours ago...)

rachalmers

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
UK
Ok. 18 hours later I have a restart.... looking good so far. Few things not working but that’s normal.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I noticed this last night and tried a couple of reboots and then decided to just let it be overnight. it completed on its own with no issues.

ilKaiser

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Italy
Yes, same here. It took 18 hours. !!!
I'm trying an update from High Sierra to Catalina on one of my Mac Book Pro.
The installer is stuck at "9 minutes left"... 20 hours now.
I don't know what I have to do. My disk is Filevault encrypted, was HFS+, and now will be converted to APFS. Maybe is this the reason of the slowness ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.