Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
I'm duplicating a 700MB CD-R that somehow has 802.7MB of information on it. My Burn Folder is ready, but it's not possible to print that much information on a blank CD-R. The files are .aiff type.

Thanks,

BB99

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
The files are actually WMA. This format has a slick codec that reduces the file size to about 1/3 that of a .aiff. I'll use WMplayer and go with the flow.

Does Apple have a similar codec?

Thanks,

BB99

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
This once happened to me when doing a backup of a game that was 850MB. They were special discs that the company used to defend themselves against piracy.

Is this an original disc or a CD-R ?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Plextor CD drives offer a feature called GigaRec which allows high capacity storage up to 1 GB on a 700 MB CD disc. They do this by reducing the size of the "pits" when wrtiting the CD.

Also, data CDs can be mastered to have repeated data be linked to two separate locations in the TOC, so that you can have two "files" that both point to the exact same data on the disc. MS uses this for some of the Office discs so that when you copy the files file-by-file you end up with far more than 650-700 MB.

Finally in response to you codec question. Apple Lossless Audio Codec gets you close, depending on the type of content (music/voice/etc) it tends to be around 1/2 of the original AIFF size. Otherwise you could just use standard codecs (MP3 or AAC) at ~320 kbps to get to roughly 1/4 of the uncompressed size.

B

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Nero on PC allows you to 'overburn' a CD to a greater capacity than advertised...does Toast do this as well? If so, it might be of help to the original thread-owner too.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.