Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IMADDRELL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Hi

Here's my dilemma, I have a large number of CDs and I wanted to rip those CDs and store the MP3 files on a classic iPod. I have a 2009 Imac, but due to space it has become a bit of pain to keep set up. I was thinking of buying something like a mid 2010 Mac Pro and using an existing monitor, does anyone have any experience of using multiple drives on the Mac Pro to rip CDs and what sort of performance would I expect to get from the machine? I seem to recall the Imac was ripping at around 10x speed. I tried a Windows PC and an external drive, the performance was terrible and I gave up the project as it would have taken way too long to do.

Thanks for any help.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
From encoding side, if you use Max with Lame you can configure how many threads are used. Up to 24 on a dual 6 core machine, so thats about 1 minute für a ripped CD.

As you can put in 2 optical drives you can feed both at the same time. How fast and accurate? It depends, it was ages ago I ripped a single CD.

I rather transcode from losless.

Reactions: IMADDRELL

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Hey, 1990 is over 😆

From a hard disk, the encoding to mp3 is MUCH faster. If it is possible to encode from 2 drives at the same time, you can twice the speed. Are you are a good disc jokey? I wish I can test this for you, but my second drive (BD) stop reading disks around 2 months ago.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If I'm understanding the post, the big pain here is the repetitive task of ripping a large volume of CDs. Fortunately, it's a ONE-TIME task. Once they are ripped, you have that quality of music file for up to forever (assuming you have a good backup program in place, with at least one backup stored offsite).

If you have many CDs, it is very much like assembly line work that can take hours or days (maybe weeks???) to complete. Getting a little more speed out of the rips themselves may impact the hassle a bit... but the bulk of the pace is driven by how quickly you remove a finished disc and insert a new one to be ripped... AND clean up any errors in song names, album/artist names, album art, etc. In my experience, getting all of the metadata correct and in good form is the bulk of the time demand... and only human interaction seems to be able to do that very well.

This is a classic multi-tasking task to do a bunch each day while working on other things. Else, consider hiring a student or senior to do it for you: "No, this is not lawn mowing or baby sitting; I need my CD collection ripped." Or, I would guess there are "drop off the CDs and we'll rip them for you" services you could use.

The speed of the rip matters, but it will tend to vary based on quality of the disc being ripped and many other factors. If me, I wouldn't really give that too much focus in trying to get my own large collection ripped. There likely is a little time savings if you can line up fastest drives but I think the human processing and disk swaps is where the bulk of time is burned- not the spin speed itself.

Another option is to treat it like a gym workout or similar, where you don't aim to go from weakling to The Hulk in one day but work at it a little every day over a good period of time until all of them are converted. For example, how many could you rip and clean up in 1 hour? That number divided into the total number could give you a number of days to complete the task without having to spend upwards of all hours every day for upwards of days or weeks to get a whole collection imported: "If I start today, I'll have the whole collection imported by Month, Day" by allocating only 1 hour per day.

Still another option is to ask around among friends to see who has an external CD/DVD reader they might loan to you. Hook them up to a few Macs or PCs and import 2, 3, 4, 5 discs at a time. Then merge all of the imported rips into a single drive.

Tip: With hard drives being cheap, a good option is to rip them all as Apple lossless to a big external drive. Then you can import them into Music/iTunes and- if smaller files are desired- select a preferred compression option and compress them all to it. After that is complete, delete the lossless copies out of Music/iTunes but (suggestion) KEEP them on that external drive so that if you later want to alter your compression setting to something else (usually LESS compression for higher quality) or format (mp3, AAC, something not even invented yet?), you don't have to re-rip all of the CDs again.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
MP3 encoding is a single thread process. So, for a 12 cores 24 threads Mac Pro 5,1 (e.g. Dual X5690). It can encode 12 MP3 at full speed simultaneously. The CPU can encode up to 24 MP3 at the same time, but once more than 12, the performance may drop.

Of course, this assuming the optical drive is fast enough to feed the CPU. If the optical drive is too slow, then the limiting factor will be the drive, but not the CPU. In this case, the Mac Pro 5,1 may able to encode more than 24 MP3 at "full speed" the same time.

Quite a few years back, I do some MP3 encoding from 4 optical drives at the same time (two internal, two external). No problem at all.

I don't know how fast is "good performance" for you. But for me, the Mac Pro can rip a CD in just few minutes. Doing four at the same time is busy enough for me already (keep changing disc / renaming files etc).

The native Mac Pro 5,1 SuperDrive can read CD up to 32x. And it's noticeably faster than the external Apple SuperDrive (which suppose for Macbook Air to use, with up to 24x for reading CD).

porican

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016
I have one of these in my 5,1 and it typically rips 800MB CDs in less than a minute.

In practice it takes a little longer since i like to verify the rips but it's very fast. In reality any 5.25" drive will work, and if u have two, it will go twice as fast. My 5,1 came with two drives installed but I pulled them in favor of the one fast drive + an HDD.

HobeSoundDarryl’s advice for setting up a workflow is good. Definitely rip to a lossless format that uses metadata—like AIFF, FLAC, or ALAC—so you never need to rip it again. Dealing with the metadata is definitely the longest part of the process, but you can use databases to automatically fill them in, and u can just tweak them manually if necessary. Once u get cookin it will fly by. IDK what a "large number" means but less than 1k shouldn't take very long at all with a fast drive.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
a good option is to rip them all as Apple lossless

Certainly do lossless rips. It has been a long time since I ripped to iTunes on my 5.1 with dual optical drives but don't remember any problems. Just kept the stack of disks available and fed the beast as necessary while doing other things on the system. No dedicated time was required - just kept the rips running in the background.

I was thinking of buying something like a mid 2010 Mac Pro and using an existing monitor, does anyone have any experience of using multiple drives on the Mac Pro to rip CDs and what sort of performance would I expect to get from the machine?

Why not just purchase a Mac Mini and 2 external CD drives, along with an external disk? No reason to waste money on an obsolete, large, slow, power hungry system. With 4 ports on the higher priced version you could rip 4 CDs at a time. [Assume you could do that it you have set "When a CD is inserted 'Ask to Import CD'". Haven't done multiple CD rips for years, but regularly do multiple Blu-Ray rips at a time on a Studio].

Don't have any experience with an IPod so my suggestions might not apply. Dunno about transferring files in Ventura from Apple Music to the iPod. The files will be there in the Music folder so it is just a question of how to get them there if you can't synch via Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.