Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hi all,

is there a decent free cd dripping software which can rip the cd and add all the track/album info?
I have a load to get through lol

Cheers

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
I tinkered with freeware for the task of ripping my complete CD collection, but after a number of frustrations ended up paying for ‘DB Poweramp’. It made the task so much easier and can do batch conversion of format as well. So, freeware is possible, but if you have a lot to do then a small investment may be worth your sanity.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Assuming you have a Mac, iTunes/Music. Not much out there that’s better.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
iTunes/Music.

But I did mostly all my own tagging. Literally no software out there, all of which rely on reading internet-based lookup libraries, was consistently good enough for me. Particularly with albums spread across multiple CDs, such as compilations, where before you know it they're imported as separate albums. Also tracks where there is a contributing artist, and those songs end up appearing as different albums because the Album Artist field hasn't been completed correctly or at all. And don't get me started on classical where there is almost zero consistently-adhered-to standard on how things are tagged.

I ripped and tagged over 700 CDs during the winter-into-Spring of 2012/2013. Often I scanned my own album artwork as well because I was dissatisfied with the poor-quality artwork automatically assigned.

Yes it took an absolute age. There are shortcuts, eg you can just let the computer get on with it and accept the choices and decisions it makes. But it didn't work for me. Maybe you'll be fine if your musical tastes are very mainstream.

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
iTunes/Music.

But I did mostly all my own tagging. Literally no software out there, all of which rely on reading internet-based lookup libraries, was consistently good enough for me. Particularly with albums spread across multiple CDs, such as compilations, where before you know it they're imported as separate albums. Also tracks where there is a contributing artist, and those songs end up appearing as different albums because the Album Artist field hasn't been completed correctly or at all. And don't get me started on classical where there is almost zero consistently-adhered-to standard on how things are tagged.

I ripped and tagged over 700 CDs during the winter-into-Spring of 2012/2013. Often I scanned my own album artwork as well because I was dissatisfied with the poor-quality artwork automatically assigned.

Yes it took an absolute age. There are shortcuts, eg you can just let the computer get on with it and accept the choices and decisions it makes. But it didn't work for me. Maybe you'll be fine if your musical tastes are very mainstream.
Recognise the problems. Been there, then bought dbPoweramp ….. £41 for bit perfect ripping, powerful tag editing and batch format converting.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
on all the operating systems I use, always VLC and a separate flac codec, none of the others.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Cheers peeps, ended up using Exact Audio Copy worked fine. It didn't pick up some tags but changing the database afew times worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.