Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys,

I have a G3 iMac (2001 Slot Loading, OS 10.3.9) that will not accept the Memorex CD-RW Rewritable disks I bought. Is there something I can do to format these so they work?

Thanks!
Heather

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
CanadaRAM said:
Does your iMac have a CD-burner? Ejection is the normal behaviour of a CD-ROM-only drive when blank writable media is inserted.

Yes, I'm able to burn CD's on my iMac. Is that the problem?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Loomish said:
I have a G3 iMac (2001 Slot Loading, OS 10.3.9) that will not accept the Memorex CD-RX Rewritable disks I bought. Is there something I can do to format these so they work?

Heather, what is "CD-RX?" I've never heard of that format. Is that interchangeable with CD-RW? The latter is the standard read-write format supported by most burners....

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
CD-RW, not CD-RX. I'm sorry:eek: It says "Burning the disk failed because this type of CD is not supported. Error: 0x80020043. What am I doing?

Heather

mkrishnan said:
Heather, what is "CD-RX?" I've never heard of that format. Is that interchangeable with CD-RW? The latter is the standard read-write format supported by most burners....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Loomish said:
CD-RW, not CD-RX. I'm sorry:eek: It says "Burning the disk failed because this type of CD is not supported. Error: 0x80020043. What am I doing?

Oh, okay, no problem. :)

Has it been written to already by another computer, or is this the first time? If so, you may need to use Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) to erase the disc first.

Otherwise, it could just be a weird difference between your drive and that disc brand...and you might need to try a different brand. That's a strange thing, but I've heard of it happening once in a rare while.... :(

EDIT: There's also the possibility mentioned above by CanadaRAM, but as far as Apple History says, the iMac went straight from CD to CD-RW....

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
The G3 slot-load iMacs used 8x/4x/24x CD-RW drives.

My G3 iMac had a similar problem with a spindle of no-name discs. The first attempt to burn always failed, but if I inserted the disc a second time, it worked. Try burning to the same disc again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.