Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys, i have an iPhone 6S and i wanted to ask, should i disable Cell Network Search? its a location service under system services that is using up location data and im sure causing battery drain as well, what i dont understand is whether its a performance feature that should be kept enabled or just a feature that gathers data on the cell tower my iphone is connected to and just logs it and sends the data to apple?

same question about the Compass Calibration feature under Location services under System Services, should i keep that enabled or disable it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Personally I've kept essentially all the options off in system services, aside from Find My iPhone, for a number of iOS versions now without any ill effects (of course to a degree it will depend on what you are using, like WiFi calling would need to have that enabled and a few other similar features of you are using them).

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Personally I've kept essentially all the options off in system services, aside from Find My iPhone, for a number of iOS versions now without any ill effects (of course to a degree it will depend on what you are using, like WiFi calling would need to have that enabled and a few other similar features of you are using them).

I see, thanks for the response.

As far as compass calibration under that system services menu, does that have anything to do with steps tracking and daily workout etc? I have the Apple Watch and it gives a daily summary of my activity like steps etc, will any of that tracking be affected if I disable compass calibration?

That compass calibration seems to be on every 10 minutes or so as I see the location status bar in the top kick in so that compass calibration must be a battery draining feature

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Compass calibration is used to determine your location so the magnetic compass can compensate for the difference between magnetic north and true north.

If you don't enable it, the compass will tend to be slightly off depending on where you are in the world.

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
This is mine.. Never had a problem

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 477

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Compass calibration is used to determine your location so the magnetic compass can compensate for the difference between magnetic north and true north.

If you don't enable it, the compass will tend to be slightly off depending on where you are in the world.

But if I were to disable it, will it affect the activity tracking such as steps from my Apple Watch and other health measurements?
I mean, what is the purpose of that feature even being enabled and for the compass to be constantly re calibrated every 5-10 minutes? For precise navigating through the Maps app to get driving directions? ( I don't use my iPhone as driving gps navigator)

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
But if I were to disable it, will it affect the activity tracking such as steps from my Apple Watch and other health measurements?
I mean, what is the purpose of that feature even being enabled and for the compass to be constantly re calibrated every 5-10 minutes? For precise navigating through the Maps app to get driving directions? ( I don't use my iPhone as driving gps navigator)

No, it won't hurt activity tracking or health measurements.

The compass is used for a few things, like when you open Google Maps, the little arrow that shows which way you (the phone) is facing is driven by the compass. It's also used to orient the map when you tap the location button twice. But that's about it, it's not something used heavily or even that noticeably.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I have everything off except find my iphone and so does all my family and friends and nobody has every had a problem.

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
Disabling compass calibration won't affect your activity tracking, but according to some it may affect your navigation apps.

Cell Network Search supposedly sends diagnostic information to Apple about cell towers and such, so you can safely turn it off.

I don't actually think disabling either of these actually helps your battery life all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.