Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
FUD

I like my dedicated iPod. My Cell phone plays MP3s right now, but it has its issues and I prefer my iPod, that way I dont end up draining my phones batteries everytime I decide to listen to music.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I find it interesting how so many analysts/manufacturers think consumers all want convergence and how many consumers prefer dedicated devices instead. I think it's usually just a case of wishful thinking. Convergence will only ever be successful when you can marry two products but lose NONE of the benefits that the products had on their own.

Remember the "spork"?...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The mp3/aac playing mobile phones are concidered an iPod accessory, not replacement, by Apple. Just a way to generate even more traffic to iTunes Music Store, and maybe sell a few more iPods...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I'd like the idea of a single device.

Ideally an iPod with added phone function. All I'd need/want is to be able to make/receive voice calls with a BT headset and make/receive text messages in addtion to the normal iPod mini duties.

The biggest hurdle to this is the interface to dial and input text which is far from insurmountable. There have been some great mock-ups posted by other more creative with PhotoShop than me.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
There have been PDAs with cell phone and MP3 capabilities for years. Why are they not hot?

I think the cell phone + digital camera thing caught on not because of customer demand but because of manufacturer market saturation.

It seems most cell phones have a digicam built in nowadays. How many units this feature sells and how many customers make regular use of it is likely insignificant.

People don't buy an iPod to have an MP3 player; if they wanted that they could buy any number of cheaper pieces of plastic from any number of reputable (and not se reputable) manufacturers. They buy an iPod for the interface.

Unless a cell phone can surpass the intuitiveness of Apple's interface, the iPod won't be unseated.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Based on my personal experience as I recently got a new phone with the standard mp3 capability, camera and handheld gaming. I enjoyed using it as it means less devices I have to carry around. I am now listening more to my phone mp3 instead of my ipod, discman or thumbdrive/player. The camera is convenient , as usual the quality is bad, however, it is just enough for those candid shots.

I am not too picky about anything so it suits me just nice but feeling a little guilty as I have not been using my dedicated mp3 players that much since I paid so much for them.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Tool for the job.

Most cell phones can display the time, but people still wear watches.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
pseudobrit said:
There have been PDAs with cell phone and MP3 capabilities for years. Why are they not hot?

Because they are expensive, big, lack features of fully fledged seperate devices. Only recently have they begun to really settle into a decent form factor...but there is still a few years to really get it sorted I think.

Unless a cell phone can surpass the intuitiveness of Apple's interface, the iPod won't be unseated.

Well rumor is it will have the same UI for the iPod stuff...why wouldn't it. Thats a big part of Apple's iPod success afterall. Being a joint deal it should allow for the best of Apple and Moto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.