Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Hello,
My phone is the iPhone 6s plus
I bought a new apple brand lighting av adapter.
I bought a new lighting cable and charging block
I bought a new hdmi cable
My plan was to apply all my new tech so I could watch movies and tv shows through a streaming website like peacock, tubi, etc, which are both free. When I complete the setup of the iPhone, av adapter, lighting cable and hdmi cable my phone starts out ok, the thin blue line at the top of my phone showing the av adapter icon is seen but quickly goes away as does my cell service. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
The title should read “cell service dies after hooking up the lighting av adapter”

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
It’s normal for the adapter icon to disappear after a few seconds. When you say the cell service dies though, you’re not seeing the LTE bars at the top or your cell service is disabled in the settings? When you hit play for a show, what happens?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Also, who is your cell provider?

I realize you’re new here, and are probably getting used to the structure of the forums, but you’ve created this thread under iOS 6. What actual iOS version are you running on your phone?

Last edited:

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Hi and thanks for the reply. Lol, no not running iOS 6. My phone is running 13.3. I have at&t service and yes the LTE Bars go away and “NO SERVICE” replaces it. Cell service is not disabled in the settings. I tried going to the peacock website while my phone was hooked up to the lighting av adapter and the site wouldn’t open because of loss of signal.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hi and thanks for the reply. Lol, no not running iOS 6. My phone is running 13.3. I have at&t service and yes the LTE Bars go away and “NO SERVICE” replaces it. Cell service is not disabled in the settings. I tried going to the peacock website while my phone was hooked up to the lighting av adapter and the site wouldn’t open because of loss of signal.
Does the cell service return after disconnecting the adapter, or is there another step you do to get it to return?

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
The cell service returns in about a minute or 2 after disconnecting the adapter

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Your TV not being a smart TV shouldn’t matter since you should be able to use this adapter with other devices like a projector or display monitor. Do you have another display device you can test it with?

There’s every chance that the adapter or one of the cables, even though they’re all new, is faulty. I researched this a bit and see there are others who have experienced the issue, but no resolution was suggested.

You could possibly make an Apple Store appointment to ask for help troubleshooting it, but I’m hoping others will chime in here too.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Another thought:

What is the order of plugging in the various connections? Do you lose your cell connection as soon as you plug the HDMI end into the TV or at a different point? Do you connect the lightning power and the adapter to the phone, and then plug in the HDMI end to the adapter and then to the TV? Or are you doing it in another order?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You’ve probably already seen this Apple support article and are following the steps exactly, but if not, try connecting in the order suggested to see if it makes a difference:

If that doesn’t work, I’d take all of the new cables, adapter and the charger to the Apple Store and ask them to test it there.

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Hey WildSky
Thanks for your time and help with my problems. I haven’t thought about the order I hook everything together and I will try the instructions on the page you left me to check out. I will let you know how that goes later. Thanks again

Reactions: 0128672

mestes99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Hey to all, I wanted to let everyone know what I’ve done to fix my issue. I followed the set up instructions via the link WildSky posted and after following the information my cell service still died but after a minute or two I noticed my cell service coming back but it only stayed on for a minute or two before going back out again. My thoughts are that my signal is not strong enough to do what I wanna do which is to stream movies and tv shows to my tv via my iPhone. Thanks again for your all your help.

mike

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.