Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I'm probably going to buy a mini, but don't know if I should buy AT&T or Verizon. Is there any information on the data plans for them? Also, I have no one around here that has an LTE phone to ask which one is better and I'm suspicious of the maps-- Verizon's seems to show LTE in my spot, but AT&T doesn't.

Any thoughts on any of this? I want to pre-order on opening day, but want to buy the right device. Thanks.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm probably going to buy a mini, but don't know if I should buy AT&T or Verizon. Is there any information on the data plans for them? Also, I have no one around here that has an LTE phone to ask which one is better and I'm suspicious of the maps-- Verizon's seems to show LTE in my spot, but AT&T doesn't.

Any thoughts on any of this? I want to pre-order on opening day, but want to buy the right device. Thanks.

tomorrow there should be data plan pricing. It will be interesting to see if Sprint offers unlimited data -- but that's besides the point.

As for reception all you'll have to go are the coverage maps. If you get a Verizon iPad and it doesn't work out then you can always return it.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
All about sim card

If you travel abroad, remember only AT&T version has the sim slot. Verizon version does not.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
If you travel abroad, remember only AT&T version has the sim slot. Verizon version does not.

This is only for iPad 2. iPad 3, 4 and iPad mini have sim slots and full quad-band gsm capabilities regardless of carrier

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Also, would be interested on the verizon plans. We have AT&T for our iPhone5 phones, however dont the Verizon data only plans include mobile hotspot?

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
This is only for iPad 2. iPad 3, 4 and iPad mini have sim slots and full quad-band gsm capabilities regardless of carrier

True, new iPad LTE versions both have sim slot. But:

You guys never heard of the Verizon hassle about iPad 3 data plan?

Basically, if you stop the plan just for one month, your sim card will be "erased", "Burned", whatever word you use. And it is not a truly free on and off data plan like AT&T. You have to get a new sim card evedry time you want to re-join Verizon plan, and it will be some charges if you are not clear what you are doing.

Sure you can try one AT&T sim or other European sim in it, but once you get off Verizon, you will be pissed on how to get the plan back!

Google the topic and learn.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010

Basically, if you stop the plan just for one month, your sim card will be "erased", "Burned", whatever word you use. And it is not a truly free on and off data plan like AT&T. You have to get a new sim card evedry time you want to re-join Verizon plan, and it will be some charges if you are not clear what you are doing.

Sure you can try one AT&T sim or other European sim in it, but once you get off Verizon, you will be pissed on how to get the plan back!

Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea as I've only used AT&T's in the past with my ipad 1. I just went in and cancelled my verizon mini ipad and ordered an AT&T one. Hope my shipping stays the same even reordering now.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011

is this the case even if you click "delete the account later" and not the "delete account now" option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.