Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I’m really enjoying using my Air 3 for Apple Arcade and recently, Stadia. My issue is it isn’t cellular and I want to be able to play without having to hotspot while away from WI-FI.

Are there any new updates as to when a 5G iPad will be released? I’ve heard 1st quarter, but if that is the case, would March be the most realistic release date?

I can wait, I just don’t want to spend so much on a 4g LTE iPad now, if in fact a new one is coming 1st quarter with 5G capability.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I’m really enjoying using my Air 3 for Apple Arcade and recently, Stadia. My issue is it isn’t cellular and I want to be able to play without having to hotspot while away from WI-FI.

Are there any new updates as to when a 5G iPad will be released? I’ve heard 1st quarter, but if that is the case, would March be the most realistic release date?

I can wait, I just don’t want to spend so much on a 4g LTE iPad now, if in fact a new one is coming 1st quarter with 5G capability.
Here is a roundup of all the rumors for the next iPad Pro.
Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.52.43 AM.png

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
As far as Stadia is concerned, I do have a LTE iPad and it is flawless. 5G is depended on your location and carrier. I do have a 5G tablet (Tab S7+ 5G) on T-mobile, however it's not the 2GB upload/download speed your thinking of. my 5G speeds are actually equal to my LTE Speeds regardless of where I am. It comes down to what state you live in. 5G in the US will take another 3-5 years before it is mainstream across the entire US and every device gets ~1GB+ U/D speeds.

Even if Apple does release a 5G iPad, speed-test your location for 5G speed before dropping the $$.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.