Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dball4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
Ok I'm having a dilemma here, I'm buying the 128GB Space Grey but now the problem is do I buy a cellular model? What are you buying and is it worth it for the cellular model? I'm on Verizon and I would add it to my 30GB plan.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I think Wifi model is enough to use cause I can find wifi everywhere.

I see this posted on every thread and in my case, and perhaps quite a few others, this simply is not the case. I would have to go out of my way to find free wifi. If I'm not planning to go to McDonald's Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks, why would I pull into their parking lot? It makes no sense.

The biggest reason to buy a cellular iPad, aside from convenience, is GPS. If you are using it for navigation, it may be necessary. And no, using your phone as hotspot will not substitute for this.

I don't use my iPad that much and chances are if I had chosen a cellular model, that would change.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok I'm having a dilemma here, I'm buying the 128GB Space Grey but now the problem is do I buy a cellular model? What are you buying and is it worth it for the cellular model? I'm on Verizon and I would add it to my 30GB plan.

Sorry but no one here can tell you if cellular is worth it to you! Only you can make that choice

----------

Sorry but no one here can tell you if cellular is worth it to you! Only you can make that choice

To me it is like asking what color should I get.

dball4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
What would you buy though? I just want feedback from people on it, not if I need it. I really don't need it but is it worth it for the convenience if I need the LTE, and now with the universal sim, I could try different networks too and go back to Verizon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What would you buy though? I just want feedback from people on it, not if I need it.
What other people choose is irrelevant to you, as their choices have no effect on what works for you. Each person's needs, preferences and tastes are different.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
What other people choose is irrelevant to you, as their choices have no effect on what you decide. Each person's needs, preferences and tastes are different.

I disagree. Perhaps the OP will discover uses for the cellular model that he had not thought of before. GPS has already been mentioned as one.

dball4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
What other people choose is irrelevant to you, as their choices have no effect on what works for you. Each person's needs, preferences and tastes are different.

Ok, not to sound rude, I just want to know what you would buy? I made my decision for the Cellular model after doing research but now I'm curious as to what others are doing.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
What would you buy though? I just want feedback from people on it, not if I need it. I really don't need it but is it worth it for the convenience if I need the LTE, and now with the universal sim, I could try different networks too and go back to Verizon.

same answer the previous 5 posts gave you.
if you want it as much as or more than the extra money it costs, get it

obviously it would come in handy, but how can anybody else tell you if its worth it or not?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, not to sound rude, I just want to know what you would buy? I made my decision for the Cellular model after doing research but now I'm curious as to what others are doing.
The existing threads on this topic provide close to 200 posts of people offering their opinions, including a poll. If you're curious as to what others choose, there's plenty to go on there. What I personally would buy is irrelevant.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
GPS needed so I went LTE, what's another $129:D don't want to go gee wish I spent the extra. I think it helps resell later as well.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You really do need to tell us what your intended uses are.

I can't imagine having an iPad without GPS. Horrible. But these days you can buy external GPS units for less than the cellular upgrade. A bit inconvenient since you either have to attach them or use bluetooth. OTOH, since they can be mounted in places with better reception they may be more accurate than the built in GPS in a cellular iPad. And they can be used with other devices in many cases.

Ditto with wifi. You don't need an iPad to get cellular data. You can use any number of devices that tether, or make personal hot spots. And again, they might be useful with other devices (many can connect several clients and have other features), and in addition might be cheaper than the data prices you'd pay for the iPad, depending on your carrier. And you could use it with your laptop, etc.

Just depends on your needs. And your wallet.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
My current iPad is a cellular model. 64gb I had the top of the line when I bought it. I've used the cellular feature all of one time in the 2.5 years I've owned it. WiFi is everywhere. At least where I tend to use it. Therefore this time I went WiFi.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I find that wifi only is fine, if your phone data plan includes tethering.

I found cellular to be more important in the Dark Ages...i.e., with the original iPad. Back then, you'd find wifi at Starbucks, but not necessarily at a lot of other places. Nowadays, wifi is literally everywhere, many data plans include tethering as an option, and having a cellular-capable iPad just isn't quite as important.

But that's my setup, and it certainly won't be right for everyone.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Still using my iPad 2 (cellular) and wouldn't consider getting anything but another cellular iPad, the foremost reason being that I can always get online no matter where I am. Especially handy during power outages or while traveling.

Do like the AT&T data plan which I can subscribe to only when needed. Don't own a smart phone and have no need for one since I can use my iPad for communication.

Do have a prepaid phone which I keep around just in case I actually have to make an actual phone call.

robert109

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I see this posted on every thread and in my case, and perhaps quite a few others, this simply is not the case. I would have to go out of my way to find free wifi. If I'm not planning to go to McDonald's Dunkin Donuts, or Starbucks, why would I pull into their parking lot? It makes no sense.

The biggest reason to buy a cellular iPad, aside from convenience, is GPS. If you are using it for navigation, it may be necessary. And no, using your phone as hotspot will not substitute for this.

I don't use my iPad that much and chances are if I had chosen a cellular model, that would change.

Okay, cause I do not go out very often, the hotspot from iPhone will satisfy me when there is no wifi. And the same, I always use my phone to navigate.

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA

For me, the wifi is all I need. As a student there is Wi-Fi everywhere, so much so that I turn off 3G/LTE on my iPhone and rely on Wi-Fi for data.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm going cellular. My current ipad is wifi-only and most of the time I have no issues getting wifi. But the times when I don't have wifi (or I'm in a hotel and the wifi is $20/day) and need to get something done/synced can be really frustrating.

IMO if you've already got a plan to add it to, and you can afford the initial upcharge, go cellular. Heck, if you're comfortable signing a 2-year contract with Verizon, you can buy it from them for $100 off, which offsets a lot of the cellular upcharge.

FYI - I'm on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan with my 5s, so I can't tether, and it's cheaper for me to do a separate plan (or a la carte data) for the ipad than it would be for me to change to a "share" plan.

dball4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Illinois
I am an employee of Verizon so that's why I'm going with cellular. I can't directly buy it from the company since they won't allow employees to get them until "demand" goes down. Same for the 6/6 Plus. It's painful to sell the phones/iPad but not own one until probably next year. But I will buy one from either Best Buy or Apple

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
I already have a phone and didn't really want to pay two bills, plus for me the wifi model is more than enough to get all my needs done. Unless you really need to be connected everywhere I'd also suggest a Wifi only model, but that's just me!

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I am an employee of Verizon so that's why I'm going with cellular. I can't directly buy it from the company since they won't allow employees to get them until "demand" goes down. Same for the 6/6 Plus. It's painful to sell the phones/iPad but not own one until probably next year. But I will buy one from either Best Buy or Apple

Wow, that is just torturous to have to sit back and sell these great Apple products and not be allowed to purchase them for yourself. You made a good choice in getting the Cellular model. That is what I always get with every iPad purchase.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I went cellular on my iPad Air and I don't regret it. Rather than pay every month I just keep it on a pay as you go option and buy data as needed. I don't see me going back to wifi only but it really depends on what your data plans are now and whether you can tether for free or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.