Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
So today I placed an order for a new celluar iPad Pro from apple.com. Shortly afterwards I received an email from Apple on how to claim the carrier deal. I plan to enroll a (tablet-only) data plan from T-Mobile. I do not have a phone plan with T-Mobile and I do not want to change my phone's carrier (I am with Verizon prepaid). My question is, when I click the promo application site, promotions.t-mobile.com, it asks me for a phone number. I wonder how to get a T-Mobile phone number if I will only have a tablet plan with T-Mobile. Any suggestions? Really appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 10.11.19 PM.png

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I could be mistaken but, I believe that that promotion is for people already with T-Mobile who add a new line of service, or new customers who switch their service to T-mobile.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I could be mistaken but, I believe that that promotion is for people already with T-Mobile who add a new line of service, or new customers who switch their service to T-mobile.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Oh really? I did not find any fine print saying you have to switch your phone plan to T-Mobile.

Reactions: gotong

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Oh really? I did not find any fine print saying you have to switch your phone plan to T-Mobile.
What rational company would fund your iPad purchase if you aren’t moving service to them?

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
If you don't have a T-Mobile account then you will create a T-Mobile account as part of the mobile data plan signup on the iPad. T-Mobile will assign the iPad a phone number. Then when you login to your new T-Mobile account you will be able to visit that promotion page and apply for card.

Reactions: HeadsUp7Up and wmy5

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
I am going to use their service. But I only want a data-only plan for my iPad, not moving my cell phone plan to them.
That was unclear. You need the iPad in hand before you can do anything. After that, follow the instructions in the email. The iPad has an eSIM So you don’t need a SIM card unless you want to use one. Once you set up an account/signup, you’ll see a cellular number in settings->about. Use that for the promo signup.

Last edited:

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
That was unclear. You need the iPad in hand before you can do anything. After that, follow the instructions in the email. The iPad has an eSIM So you don’t need a SIM card unless you want to use one. Once you set up an account/signup, you’ll see a cellular number in settings->about. Use that for the promo signup.
Thank you! I wasn't aware that an iPad has a "phone" number, even if iPad can't make phone calls...

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Thank you! I wasn't aware that an iPad has a "phone" number, even if iPad can't make phone calls...
You still need a phone# to be able to access the network/have an account with the carrier. Think about your phone, it has voice but also data
4670ADB4-98C9-4AEA-B9EE-B9629D970830.jpeg

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Did this work? Can you use a prepaid account for the 200 promotion? I'm a Fi user - and don't have an existing line on T-Mobile.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
Did this work? Can you use a prepaid account for the 200 promotion? I'm a Fi user - and don't have an existing line on T-Mobile.
No. You have to sign up a postpaid account for this promotion. Please be aware that the unlimited tablet plan without a phone plan costs $60 a month.

Reactions: gotong

gotong

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
T-Mobile is vague (and very shady) with their promos, specifically this one. I've read others negative experience and I also have first hand experience. Their agents also can't get their act together to get you on the correct plan to avail of the promo. It's very frustrating dealing with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.