Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cellular or Hotspot?

• Cellular

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Hotspot

Votes: 26 41.3%

• Total voters

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
This has been discussed pretty regularly here. If you think that hotspotting will cover. Your needs, you’re probably right. People who use cellular data in their iPads extensively will probably not want to use hotspotting but for most people it works fine.

That being said, t mobile in the us offers a 5 gigs for 150 days for $10 plan that is fantastic for occasional use. It works out to around $2/month and is way better (to me at least) than having to hotspot.
Glad I read this because I didn’t know about that T-Mobile plan. I got in on a Dent promotion a year ago where I joined with someone’s referral code, paid $5 for 1GB, and got 5GB free. Then two people joined with my code and I got an extra 5GB from each, so I wound up paying $5 and getting 16GB of data which lasts a whole year. I used only about 10GB of that and it was supposed to expire about 6-8 hours ago but it’s still working for now.

I don’t imagine it’ll last much longer, though, but that T-Mobile plan sounds ideal compared to what else is currently available, so as soon as my Dent plan stops working, I’m going to purchase that. I have a question, though. The terms say the offer is limited to one promotional pass per account. Do you know if that means I’m only able to purchase this specific plan once and then it won’t be available again?

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I assume really old grandfathered T-Mobile plan?

As T-Mobile has included free tethering in their cell phone plans for at least a decade now. My cellular plan includes 40GB of tethering @ 5G then unlimited at 3G.

Ironically, T-Mobile network has improved massively in the last few years and it is AT&T that I see having more service coverage issues amongst my friends. They frequently end up on my iPhone tethering their iPhone so they can access WiFi calling on AT&T when we're out and about in Philly area. Wild how that is flipping.

That’s correct. There are some pretty amazing aspects of our grandfathered plan, so we don’t want to give it up. But, even if we did go with the regular Magenta plans, I still have to disagree on the network coverage. T-Mobile uses a network technology that doesn’t penetrate through walls as well as AT&T’s. Coverage in more areas outside of the city is also slightly less comprehensive than AT&T. They’ve definitely closed the gap with AT&T in recent years, but there’s still a gap nonetheless.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
That’s correct. There are some pretty amazing aspects of our grandfathered plan, so we don’t want to give it up. But, even if we did go with the regular Magenta plans, I still have to disagree on the network coverage. T-Mobile uses a network technology that doesn’t penetrate through walls as well as AT&T’s. Coverage in more areas outside of the city is also slightly less comprehensive than AT&T. They’ve definitely closed the gap with AT&T in recent years, but there’s still a gap nonetheless.
The days of T-Mobile not being able to penetrate walls as well as AT&T are long gone as T-Mobile has low frequency bands as well now (that was the difference that AT&T used to hold).

But you will need a newer device that has access to the additional bands to see the benefit.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have always had cellular on my iPads. We don’t have very good wifi where I am, and my hotspot data is limited. In addition, I would find it a pain to connect to the hotspot every time I want to use my iPad because it drops the connection in between, and doesn’t always automatically pop up. My unlimited data is $20/month for my iPP, and for me, totally worth it.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I use hotspot, connects automatically whenever I leave WiFi and I have unlimited tethering included with my cell plan. Speeds might be lower but I have measured 2-300 Mbit while tethered so it is good enough.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Glad I read this because I didn’t know about that T-Mobile plan. I got in on a Dent promotion a year ago where I joined with someone’s referral code, paid $5 for 1GB, and got 5GB free. Then two people joined with my code and I got an extra 5GB from each, so I wound up paying $5 and getting 16GB of data which lasts a whole year. I used only about 10GB of that and it was supposed to expire about 6-8 hours ago but it’s still working for now.

I don’t imagine it’ll last much longer, though, but that T-Mobile plan sounds ideal compared to what else is currently available, so as soon as my Dent plan stops working, I’m going to purchase that. I have a question, though. The terms say the offer is limited to one promotional pass per account. Do you know if that means I’m only able to purchase this specific plan once and then it won’t be available again?

I’ve been renewing it for years now. I can’t say that it hasn’t changed for new customers but I think what they mean is that you can only have it one one device per account (so not two different iPads).

Reactions: Channan

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I’ve been renewing it for years now. I can’t say that it hasn’t changed for new customers but I think what they mean is that you can only have it one one device per account (so not two different iPads).
Great, thanks!

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
My last two iPads have been the cellular model. I use my iPP when I deliver food. I can use my iPhone for the mileage app, but it is easier to have a separate device, so I don’t have to switch back-and-forth between apps. Plus when it is slow, I can stream videos on a bigger screen.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I just got an iPad Pro 12.9 with a 4GB data plan here in the UK. I went for it mainly because I find hotspot really drains my phone battery, plus if I get a call it always seems to disconnect the personal hotspot which bugs me.

Its prob a luxury/excessive purchase for my needs but its nice to have.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Depends what you use it for. I use my Mini for navigation and the cellular has GPS.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I got the cellular one for the added GPS built in and not having to use batterylife on the iphone, for my plan with Verizon it was an additional $8 a month to be on my unlimited plan

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I got the cellular one for the added GPS built in and not having to use batterylife on the iphone, for my plan with Verizon it was an additional $8 a month to be on my unlimited plan
Be aware that the Do More Unlimited 5G UW plan has half cost Apple Watch plans vs the Play More Unlimited 5G UW (but you won't get Disney+ and Hulu). Just in case you weren't aware. :p

1641828999147.png

For the do More Unlimited 5G UW Plan:
1641829537873.png

Reactions: cthompson94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.