Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
After one year my iPhone 13 Pro is more scratched than my iPhone X of four years. And I use my phone *less* than I used to.

I hate that Apple has sacrificed the scratch resistance of the phone for shatter resistance. I haven't dropped my phone on a hard surface in 10 years. Scratches, however, are inevitable it seems.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Eeeeeyup. 100%

I also had some chips of glass off the corners from small drops on my 13 mini.

Maybe it would have shattered the screen of older phones. But I don’t think so since I’ve had these little drops from time to time since the 5c

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You guys are obviously going caseless and without A screen protector. Why???? Yes, I know AppleCare plus is available but you nearly have to break your phone to where it’s useless before they replace it. I always have a case and I currently use a matte antiglare screen protector, that I just totally love. Not having that super shiny reflection of the glasses so much easier to look at. if you’re interested, I will provide you with a link to Amazon, where I got it.

Growlernz

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
You guys are obviously going caseless and without A screen protector. Why???? Yes, I know AppleCare plus is available but you nearly have to break your phone to where it’s useless before they replace it. I always have a case and I currently use a matte antiglare screen protector, that I just totally love. Not having that super shiny reflection of the glasses so much easier to look at. if you’re interested, I will provide you with a link to Amazon, where I got it.
yes, id be interested in looking at the antiglare SP please.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
After one year my iPhone 13 Pro is more scratched than my iPhone X of four years. And I use my phone *less* than I used to.

I hate that Apple has sacrificed the scratch resistance of the phone for shatter resistance. I haven't dropped my phone on a hard surface in 10 years. Scratches, however, are inevitable it seems.
I believe Apple's marketing for ceramic shield is that it is more shatter resistant.

However, the more shatter resistant you make a phone, the easier it becomes to scratch. So it's either or. Thats how glass works.

And since it's more expensive to replace a cracked screen than a scratched one (you don't replace that at all), I believe Ceramic Shield is more for the benefit of the consumers.

I never drop my phone but also noticed that phones have started to become easier to scratch over the years. So I just bought a screen protector just for the inevitable scratches. Its literally almost indistinguishable from not using a screen protector and once the scratches are too much/oleophobic coating is gone, ill just install another one for $5

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021

I just made a similar thread the other day about this very issue. After ~3 weeks of use on my 14 Pro, I already have 2 scratches on my screen that seemingly came out of nowhere.

My 12 Pro that I used for 2 years under the same conditions, had no such scratches. I do not use screen protectors, but do use Apple Leather cases.

It really is pathetic that a “PRO” device is so delicate. I’m also with you on the fact that the trade-off for more shatter resistance was a bad call IMO.

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
You need to pay a little more attention to how you handle your phone. I’ve always sold my iPhone Max phones year over year since iPhone XS Max and never a micro scratch on my display. It would be one of my selling points and I always got top dollar. I wear an Apple leather case only, no screen protectors. Are you placing your phones in a completely empty pocket? Do you place your phone face down? Do you have dust or grime on your fingers when touching the screen?

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I have never had a scratch on my iPhone screens (not including smashed 3GS screen). I do use a case and set the phone face down, and I don’t put the phone in my pocket. I don’t use a screen protector, but I might do so. Have you considered using a folio-type case?

Reactions: Chevysales

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I just made a similar thread the other day about this very issue. After ~3 weeks of use on my 14 Pro, I already have 2 scratches on my screen that seemingly came out of nowhere.

My 12 Pro that I used for 2 years under the same conditions, had no such scratches. I do not use screen protectors, but do use Apple Leather cases.

It really is pathetic that a “PRO” device is so delicate. I’m also with you on the fact that the trade-off for more shatter resistance was a bad call IMO.
Scratches do not come out of no where. Something you’ve done has scratched the screen.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Eeeeeyup. 100%

I also had some chips of glass off the corners from small drops on my 13 mini.

Maybe it would have shattered the screen of older phones. But I don’t think so since I’ve had these little drops from time to time since the 5c
If you’re prone to dropping your phone, then put it in a case to to protect the corners of the screen.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe

I much prefer shatter resistance. Many of us have children and I'm very outdoorsy, so sadly my iPhone has taken a lot of drops over the years. My iPhone 12 Pro took a massive blow (in the case), which took a chunk out of the bezel, but the display was left intact.

(I'll also add shattered resistance is absolutely necessary with Apple's clear case which is basically made out of ice).

Scratch resistance however can be combated with a quality screen protector. I always use Spigen screen protectors and never had any issues with them in terms of clarity. They are easily replaceable and provide excellent protection.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Scratches do not come out of no where. Something you’ve done has scratched the screen.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Did you not catch where I said “seemingly?” The point is, there hasn’t been an instance where I can point to and say, “yes, that’s probably where the scratches had come from.”

Again, 2 years with the 12 Pro and no such scratches developed. Both phones have been handled in the same conditions. It’s completely reasonable to deduce that there is a performance degradation (as far as scratch resistance is concerned) relative to my previous 12 Pro.

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
You need to pay a little more attention to how you handle your phone. I’ve always sold my iPhone Max phones year over year since iPhone XS Max and never a micro scratch on my display. It would be one of my selling points and I always got top dollar. I wear an Apple leather case only, no screen protectors. Are you placing your phones in a completely empty pocket? Do you place your phone face down? Do you have dust or grime on your fingers when touching the screen?
Nope. I am very careful with the way I handle my phones. 12 Pro after 2 years was almost in mint condition. No screen protector.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89 and JM

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Thank you Captain Obvious. Did you not catch where I said “seemingly?” The point is, there hasn’t been an instance where I can point to and say, “yes, that’s probably where the scratches had come from.”

Again, 2 years with the 12 Pro and no such scratches developed. Both phones have been handled in the same conditions. It’s completely reasonable to deduce that there is a performance degradation (as far as scratch resistance is concerned) relative to my previous 12 Pro.
I had my 13 PM for a year, used extensively, no scratches on the screen at all. No screen protector. It had dropped on the floor maybe a few times by accident, and it was always in a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.