Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
I’ve been consistently dubious about apples claims to better screen durability with every successive iteration, and I’ve been correct in assuming it was mostly hype. Every iPhone I ever owned (up to ip11pro) scratched within days of owning it, no matter how I cared for it. I always use cases, usually apple brand, from day one.

Now with about 2.5 months with the iP13 pro, the screen is pristine. Not a single scratch in even the oleophobic coating (usual culprit), and I have not cared for it any better than previous phones.

I think apple might have cracked (NPI) the screen durability issue, at least related to the pernicious hairline scratches that inevitably covered every iPhone screen I ever used.

How about you?

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I got my 11 Pro Max in February 2021, so been about 10 months. Was cleaning the screen yesterday and noticed a slight nick. I'm okay with that. For me, it's a tool and considering that it bangs around with a lot of the metal I carry (keys, wallet chain, etc) I really wasn't shocked by it.

Reactions: nycgeo

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
I got my 11 Pro Max in February 2021, so been about 10 months. Was cleaning the screen yesterday and noticed a slight nick. I'm okay with that. For me, it's a tool and considering that it bangs around with a lot of the metal I carry (keys, wallet chain, etc) I really wasn't shocked by it.
No question. I stopped caring about scratches long ago, mostly because I felt it was pointless as scratchers were inevitable. No sense in fretting over something inevitable. Additionally, Ive sold every phone I ever bought, scratches and all. These days I simply return them to apple for the credit, and they dont care at all as long as the screen isnt cracked (which has only happened to me once after a serious fall with the iPhone 6).

In any case, this is more of a "huh, they actually did it" post, because Im pretty amazed my screen remains utterly pristine after so much use.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No question. I stopped caring about scratches long ago, mostly because I felt it was pointless as scratchers were inevitable. No sense in fretting over something inevitable. Additionally, Ive sold every phone I ever bought, scratches and all. These days I simply return them to apple for the credit, and they dont care at all as long as the screen isnt cracked (which has only happened to me once after a serious fall with the iPhone 6).

In any case, this is more of a "huh, they actually did it" post, because Im pretty amazed my screen remains utterly pristine after so much use.
I hear you.

I had an iPhone 5 once that I managed to put a deep scratch in to. That phone has since been replaced 2 or three times (I lost count) because of battery swelling. But anyway, you had to hold the phone up to strong light, turn your head a certain way and squint hard in order to see the scratch.

It's cliche, but I do see it as a character thing for my phones. I love devices that are treated well, but that show use and wear. It means they are being used as they were meant to be - and that they held up to it. A flawless device sometimes evokes a certain level of angst.

But that's just me.

Reactions: nycgeo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.