Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Are Certified Like New AT&T iPhone 6 still covered under Apple's 1 year warranty?

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Are Certified Like New AT&T iPhone 6 still covered under Apple's 1 year warranty?

It would be still covered due to the iPhone 6 not being a year old yet. Keep in mind that it will most likely not come with a full 1-year standard warranty.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
It would be still covered due to the iPhone 6 not being a year old yet. Keep in mind that it will most likely not come with a full 1-year standard warranty.

Reason I'm asking is AT&T has certified like new at $50 less than new. They are listed as Certified Like New/Refurbished. I have a line eligible for an upgrade and for $50 less on a 2 year contract upgrade(still grandfathered with unlimited data and 2 year contract upgrade pricing) it's a good deal if it's still subject to Apple 1 year warranty and/or eligible for Apple Care.

Apple won't cover of the iPhone was opened. I talked with AT&T live chat and they said certified like new have a 90 day AT&T warranty. I asked if it will still be covered under Apple 1 year warranty and/eligible for Apple Care and I couldn't get a definitive answer. Now if AT&T actually opens the iPhone and refurbs it then it won't be covered by Apple. Live chat customer service couldn't give me an answer on that either.

A co-worker bought a 6 from someone at Swappa. It was listed as mint. He had a Genius Bar appointment cause the iPhone had some issues and it turned out the iPhone was opened and the warranty was voided. He contacted the seller on Swappa and the seller fixes iPhones. The iPhone he sold co-worker he opened and put some new stuff in. So I'm wondering if AT&T does the same.

Last edited:

Luis G.

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2015
Reason I'm asking is AT&T has certified like new at $50 less than new. They are listed as Certified Like New/Refurbished. I have a line eligible for an upgrade and for $50 less on a 2 year contract upgrade(still grandfathered with unlimited data and 2 year contract upgrade pricing) it's a good deal if it's still subject to Apple 1 year warranty and/or eligible for Apple Care.

Apple won't cover of the iPhone was opened. I talked with AT&T live chat and they said certified like new have a 90 day AT&T warranty. I asked if it will still be covered under Apple 1 year warranty and/eligible for Apple Care and I couldn't get a definitive answer. Now if AT&T actually opens the iPhone and refurbs it then it won't be covered by Apple. Live chat customer service couldn't give me an answer on that either.

A co-worker bought a 6 from someone at Swappa. It was listed as mint. He had a Genius Bar appointment cause the iPhone had some issues and it turned out the iPhone was opened and the warranty was voided. He contacted the seller on Swappa and the seller fixes iPhones. The iPhone he sold co-worker he opened and put some new stuff in. So I'm wondering if AT&T does the same.

If the phone was opened by AT&T, it could be reason for Apple to void your phone's warranty. Chances are high they may do this. They do have refurbishing centers, and they do replace parts on phones here. Not just cosmetics.

One thing you DEFINITELY won't be able to do is get Applecare+ on it. That requires purchasing the insurance plan 30 days from 1st activation with proof of purchase.

Based on what you want, I doubt a refurbished phone will work for you.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
If the phone was opened by AT&T, it could be reason for Apple to void your phone's warranty. Chances are high they may do this. They do have refurbishing centers, and they do replace parts on phones here. Not just cosmetics.

One thing you DEFINITELY won't be able to do is get Applecare+ on it. That requires purchasing the insurance plan 30 days from 1st activation with proof of purchase.

Based on what you want, I doubt a refurbished phone will work for you.

Update. Called customer service later yesterday after I talked to online chat. They were pretty definitive that I could get Apple Care on a refurb. They also said there's a 90 day AT&T warranty.

Luis G.

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2015
Update. Called customer service later yesterday after I talked to online chat. They were pretty definitive that I could get Apple Care on a refurb. They also said there's a 90 day AT&T warranty.

You talked to AT&T customer service? You should be calling Apple care.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
AT&T Certified Like New devices(aka refurb) generally carry a 90 day warranty. I work in one of AT&T's Device Support Centers and our replacement devices carry either a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the defective devices warranty, whichever is longer. Now we don't support iPhones for warranty replacements but as far as buying one straight from AT&T's website as a new line or upgrade, I am not too sure but 90 days sounds about right.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
AT&T Certified Like New devices(aka refurb) generally carry a 90 day warranty. I work in one of AT&T's Device Support Centers and our replacement devices carry either a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the defective devices warranty, whichever is longer. Now we don't support iPhones for warranty replacements but as far as buying one straight from AT&T's website as a new line or upgrade, I am not too sure but 90 days sounds about right.

Are certified like new iPhones ever opened and refurbed? Customer service told me they aren't.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Are certified like new iPhones ever opened and refurbed? Customer service told me they aren't.
Again since we don't replace iPhones in the DSC's I cant specifically speak for them but with from what we are told with other devices (Android, WP, Blackberry) CNL devices have refurb'd motherboards which are encased in all brand new parts. Just by looking, touching and inspecting one of them, you wouldn't know the difference between an AT&T CNL and a brand new phone out of the box if you put them side by side.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Again since we don't replace iPhones in the DSC's I cant specifically speak for them but with from what we are told with other devices (Android, WP, Blackberry) CNL devices have refurb'd motherboards which are encased in all brand new parts. Just by looking, touching and inspecting one of them, you wouldn't know the difference between an AT&T CNL and a brand new phone out of the box if you put them side by side.

I've purchased a CNL Android in the past and I agree you wouldn't know the difference. But the iPhone is sort of a different animal per se when it comes to warranty and/or issues in relation to Apple standard warranty or Apple Care.

I called Apple and they said as long as the iPhone hasn't been opened and worked on it's covered under standard warranty and eligible for Apple Care if it isn't more than 60 days old. AT&T CS on the phone told me they aren't opened and eligible for Apple Care and have a 90 day AT&T warranty which doesn't make sense.

I'm going to get one and then take it to Apple and they'll be able to tell if it was opened and worked on.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You have to ask yourself why they have been returned or open. Not worth the saving in my book

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Just sent in the wife's iPhone 6 that was originally certified brand new for battery replacement.

They put the device on hold and are saying there is an "unauthorized part" inside and they are trying to charge us $129 to fix it and send it back to us.

We never opened the phone ever! Not sure what to do! Going to call att tomorrow to see if they can help.

Funny thing is I sent my certified new iPhone 6 into apple when it was still covered under apples warranty for a different issue and they never grilled me about anything being unauthorized and have sent me replacements. I know he wife's is far out of warranty but we just want the $29 battery! Hope this helps someone who is thinking of sending their iPhone 6 in for a battery who bought a certified like new iPhone 6.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Just sent in the wife's iPhone 6 that was originally certified brand new for battery replacement.

They put the device on hold and are saying there is an "unauthorized part" inside and they are trying to charge us $129 to fix it and send it back to us.

We never opened the phone ever! Not sure what to do! Going to call att tomorrow to see if they can help.

Funny thing is I sent my certified new iPhone 6 into apple when it was still covered under apples warranty for a different issue and they never grilled me about anything being unauthorized and have sent me replacements. I know he wife's is far out of warranty but we just want the $29 battery! Hope this helps someone who is thinking of sending their iPhone 6 in for a battery who bought a certified like new iPhone 6.
This thread is almost 3 years old.

Reactions: viperGTS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.