Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi Guys,
Asking for a friend,
Using a CFexpress on a Mac
after import , card will not eject?
Had to power down to remove card?
........... Gary

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Which type of CF Express card? Type A or Type B? Sony cameras use Type A; other cameras use Type B.

Aside from that, which I suspect doesn't matter here anyway since I have another question: did you (or your "friend") actually stick the Belkin CF Express card into the Mac's memory card slot? Uh...... It's not intended for CFExpress cards of either type, it is only meant for SD cards.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Which type of CF Express card? Type A or Type B? Sony cameras use Type A; other cameras use Type B.

Aside from that, which I suspect doesn't matter here anyway since I have another question: did you (or your "friend") actually stick the Belkin CF Express card into the Mac's memory card slot? Uh...... It's not intended for CFExpress cards of either type, it is only meant for SD cards.
Definitely CFexpress type B,
A Delkin card reader was used, I have just asked the op what OS
............. Gary

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Typically that would mean you had viewed some of the images in Photos, Preview or some other app and had not closed that app before attempting to eject the card.
As I stated, asking for a friend, :)
So the investigation goes on,
I guess, if images were still loading , I would say yes, but after the images were loaded into Adobe Lightroom Classic for example, you could still eject the card

May even be a glitch on the card, have heard a few glitches with Delkin cards in the past, and after they have been formatted in the camera, no further issues

Some cards in the Nikon Z9 have been overheating, but the higher grade like ProGrade Cobalt CFexpress have not
................ Gary

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Are you saying that in finder, clicking the eject button next to the card is not ejecting it? If so then something else has access to it.

Or is it that in Lightroom after import it isn't auto ejecting the card? This may just be that the checkbox has been unticked in the import dialog

Reactions: r.harris1

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
CFe cards in card readers show up in Macs as external disk drives, not as memory cards.

Lightroom at least won’t auto-eject after import because of this. I’m not aware of a work around.

I have seen this behavior with the Sandisk CFe B cards I use in two different USB-C readers on 3 different Macs but I understand it’s a general behavior for all CFe cards in all readers at least on Macs.

EDIT: Sorry, just read it won’t eject at all. Do you get an error message about why not? Are you sure you’re copying off the card?

Reactions: r.harris1

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Are you saying that in finder, clicking the eject button next to the card is not ejecting it? If so then something else has access to it.

Or is it that in Lightroom after import it isn't auto ejecting the card? This may just be that the checkbox has been unticked in the import dialog
Hi There,
The card is imported into Lightroom Classic
The op had a crash with the OS so I think that may have been the problem (well one of the problems),
Others are now posting problems with readers and various cards?
........... Gary

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
CFe cards in card readers show up in Macs as external disk drives, not as memory cards.

Lightroom at least won’t auto-eject after import because of this. I’m not aware of a work around.

I have seen this behavior with the Sandisk CFe B cards I use in two different USB-C readers on 3 different Macs but I understand it’s a general behavior for all CFe cards in all readers at least on Macs.

EDIT: Sorry, just read it won’t eject at all. Do you get an error message about why not? Are you sure you’re copying off the card?
Hi, Update
as above OS crashed, now doing some testing and will get back to me
FWIW,
I'm using a Studio Ultra
ProGrade Cobalt 325 GB cards and a Sony model, MRW-G1 Card reader
Not having any issues at all

Others on the same post are having similar problems with delkin readers and cards, but in reality, that could well be op error? :)
.......... Gary

wledge54

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
I have had the same issue since upgrading to Venture. Here are my details.
MBP Pro M1Pro
Ventura 13.4
Lightroom Classic 12.4, eject after import unselected.
CF Express B - Delkin 325GB, SanDisk 128 GB

The issue is intermittent, I can't determine if it's the timing of opening/closing LR, other open apps, or the time between reboots, etc.
Basically after mounting the CF Express card, opening LR, importing selected files, close LR import completed
Open Finder and select CF Express card, on occasion, I can read the folders, and I can then reject the card. However, if I can't read folders the beachball starts. My only recourse is to manually eject the card and I'm good to go.

I have never had an issue with any SD card import/reject using LR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.