Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GabeJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Hey guys. I just released an app called ChalkBoard. It is a very simple sketching applications that allows you to draw on a chalkboard in a very realistic way. Right now it is somewhat limited, but I am trying very hard to get a lot of new features. The first update will probably put a sound when you draw and hopefully I will get colors in there too.

So basically I made this thread to see what you guys thought of the app and to hear some of your suggestions/feedback. Thanks,

Gabe

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I can't decide if a "fingernails on chalkboard" sound would be really cool, or really annoying... :D

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hey guys. I just released an app called ChalkBoard. It is a very simple sketching applications that allows you to draw on a chalkboard in a very realistic way. Right now it is somewhat limited, but I am trying very hard to get a lot of new features. The first update will probably put a sound when you draw and hopefully I will get colors in there too.

So basically I made this thread to see what you guys thought of the app and to hear some of your suggestions/feedback. Thanks,

Gabe

what's the point of the app....seriously. not trying to bust your balls, but do people really need these types of apps? they're gimicky and a waste of money IMO.

get me some useful stuff......camcorder, gps turn/by/turn, etc. i don't need more flashlights, sudoku, poker, drawing, to-do-lists, dictionary, etc, etc, etc......

give US SUBSTANCE!

macmacey

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Texas
I don't "need" another drawing app, but believe it or not, there are millions of people who have yet to download any drawing app onto their phone. Perhaps ChalkBoard will be the one they all notice. Even if only 1% of them notice, then ChalkBoard will generate a nice chunk of change. And, while gimmicky, the "fingernails on chalkboard" feature might be just the thing to get it noticed. I say go for it, GabeJ!

I also guarantee that when the SDK supports it, there will be a flood of camcorders as well.:D

Pring

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Competition is what keeps a market economy improving too. As more similar apps are released the better ones pick up features from the other ones and the gap between the quality increases. If there was only one drawing app out there it wouldn't have to improve as it would have a monopoly.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
get me some useful stuff......camcorder, gps turn/by/turn, etc. i don't need more flashlights, sudoku, poker, drawing, to-do-lists, dictionary, etc, etc, etc......

give US SUBSTANCE!

You must have been living under a rock for the last few months... Neither video recording or turn by turn directions are permitted by the Apple SDK (at the moment) so developers are unable to develop such apps even though TomTom are rumored to have a working application that may or may not get launched in the future.

GabeJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I am working on getting both a sound when you write and three finger screech. Hopefully the update will be out in a week or so.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Gabe,

I purchased your app (great price), and here are some ideas:

1) Allow for different color chalk - yellow, orange (for Halloween), green and red (for Christmas) - make sure that the colors look like authentic chalk - the white that you are using now seems a bit too white and not chalky _ I' not sure if you know what I mean;
2) Allow different colors to be used on the board - so I can choose to use white, and then I change to yellow and write with the yellow (but what I wrote in white remains on the board);
3) Different board backgrounds - green, brown - I have seen those two colors besides black - maybe others exist as well;
4) Allow for different thickness of chalk - so that lines in different thickness may be drawn;
5) Maybe allow for different borders around the chalkboard (trim that goes around the four sides to customize like a photo;
6) Allow what you wrote/designed to be saved to Camera Roll and/or e-mailed;
7) Sounds will be great - including a normal chalk sound, a screeching chalk sound, and a fingernails sound;
8) An eraser would be great it we want to erase only certain parts of the chalkboard (I know that you can erase the whole board by shaking the phone);
9) The ability to draw a dot - when I tap, it does not draw a dot - so I cannot draw an eyeball as a dot, for example - I'm not sure if that can be fixed.

Other ideas (this takes you away from the chalkboard theme, but it will make it more useful to a wider audience):
1) Cork background - I know that it wouldn't be a chalkboard then - I just like cork - haha;
2) A whiteboard/tanboard option, with different color markers instead of chalk;
3) The option to put vertical lines and/or vertical and horizonatal lines (similar to a notebook page) - for people who are learning to draw or who want to take notes;
4) The option to use a picture stored on the phone as the backboard so that people can draw on their own pictures.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.