Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Hello People,

********How can I Install tiger on my iBook with what I've got?*********

iBook G3 600Mhz networked to PC
PC - Dvd drive
Tiger Dvd
Tiger .dmg and .iso image
I can also get hold of an external firewire hard disk

I've burned an image of the dvd in .dmg using my PC and used my iBook OS X 10.1.5 to transfer it over using the network. BY THE WAY! The dvd is an original

Can someone work out something????
Cheers

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
robbieduncan said:
If you have a real Tiger DVD why can you not simply send it to Apple and get CD's back?

http://images.apple.com/macosx/pdf/tigermediaexchangev3.pdf
Yeah, but that's no fun! :)

Take the DVD drive out of the PC and hook it up to the IDE interface of the firewire drive. The iBook should be able to boot off of that.

I'm sure there's some fancy way to network install as well, but I don't know how.

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
****Take the DVD drive out of the PC and hook it up to the IDE interface of the firewire drive. The iBook should be able to boot off of that.****

I would need a special cable for that right??? or!?
:confused:

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Is it actually possible to install OS X from a network without using OS X server?

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i have an adapter that lets you use the ide device though your usb port
lmk if you're intersted in it

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
kewyn15 said:
I have learned that u cannot use an external usb Dvd drive to install OS X.
Panther could boot from a USB HDD so if your image was on that it could be done i think.

Tiger has not got this feature :(

they may be a way to boot from external DVD drives but i think Firewire only on that one

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
liketom said:
Panther could boot from a USB HDD so if your image was on that it could be done i think.

Tiger has not got this feature :(

they may be a way to boot from external DVD drives but i think Firewire only on that one

yeah,....I'm looking at external dvd's on ebay....cause I've got other OS X on dvd like 10.1.2 and all I was trying to figure out, is how to install OS dvd's without a dvd drive on my ibook and using a PC.
Sounds weired but yeah....
thanks for your post

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
kewyn15 said:
yeah,....I'm looking at external dvd's on ebay....cause I've got other OS X on dvd like 10.1.2 and all I was trying to figure out, is how to install OS dvd's without a dvd drive on my ibook and using a PC.
Sounds weired but yeah....
thanks for your post
what i would do is find another mac and (with a dvd drive) and pop ur dvd in that and connect your mac to it via firewire and do targt mode on it then you will be able to install on your mac

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
liketom said:
what i would do is find another mac and (with a dvd drive) and pop ur dvd in that and connect your mac to it via firewire and do targt mode on it then you will be able to install on your mac

the problem is that i don't know ANYONE!! I MEAN ANYONE with a mac!!!
I've decided to give mac a chance cause windows just keep crashing on me...

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Do you have an ipod?
There are ways of putting the installation disk contents on the ipod. You could just get a program like transmac to read the install dvd then copy everything on the install dvd to the ipod the boot from the ipod. It might work, ive never tried it though.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
kewyn15 said:
the problem is that i don't know ANYONE!! I MEAN ANYONE with a mac!!!
I've decided to give mac a chance cause windows just keep crashing on me...
do you have an apple store nearby? if so say your a switcher and get them to do it for you.

or you can request a CD version from apple but i'm not sure Tiger comes in CD format ?
or

Panther CD from ebay ?

Congrats at switching once you get sorted you will love the Mac platform - much much much better then windows

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Laser47 said:
Do you have an ipod?
There are ways of putting the installation disk contents on the ipod. You could just get a program like transmac to read the install dvd then copy everything on the install dvd to the ipod the boot from the ipod. It might work, ive never tried it though.
Needs to be firewire though? or will USB be ok

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
I was always scared on getting a mac, just the fact that most of the stuff runs on windows, but when u realise the realiability of a mac, and alos being "almost" virus and spyware free!!! Bring it on!

No sorry, no apple store around here,... and I don't have and ipod BUT I can get hold of an external firewire drive...does that count?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
kewyn15 said:
I was always scared on getting a mac, just the fact that most of the stuff runs on windows, but when u realise the realiability of a mac, and alos being "almost" virus and spyware free!!! Bring it on!

No sorry, no apple store around here,... and I don't have and ipod BUT I can get hold of an external firewire drive...does that count?
thinking about it

you can pop the DMG onto the firewire hdd and run it from you iBook double click it and install Tiger will pop up and ask for reboot you might get away with that

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
liketom said:
thinking about it

you can pop the DMG onto the firewire hdd and run it from you iBook double click it and install Tiger will pop up and ask for reboot you might get away with that

What happens next after I'll restart though? I lauched it directly from my hard drive once...and it would just say restart, and just boot normaly into my already installed osx and does not launch anything else,

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
kewyn15 said:
What happens next after I'll restart though? I lauched it directly from my hard drive once...and it would just say restart, and just boot normaly into my already installed osx and does not launch anything else,
use start up disk in system prefs

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 71

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
I have 10.1 on the iBook and there is only my system folder, and a restart button and that's it

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
kewyn15 said:

Do what i said except copy the contents of the install dvd to the external hdd, then when you start up you mac hold the option key and select the hdd from the list. It sould work.

kewyn15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Laser47 said:
Do what i said except copy the contents of the install dvd to the external hdd, then when you start up you mac hold the option key and select the hdd from the list. It sould work.

Ok, I just text my friend and asked if I could borrow if external HDD
let u know what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.