Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
On a scale of 0-10 i'd say:

-0-

You can get an mp3 player for $20 nowadays that supports a 1TB SD card. Apple wont enter that market again. They bought an entire company (Beats) because they realized streaming was the future not sales. Sliver of profit if successful and not nearly enough interested.

Last edited:

fspkwon

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2023
Has Apple definitely abandoned the iPod line now, or is it possible in future to resurrect some (perhaps Apple music subscription based) device at a cheaper price than a full iPhone and with good battery life.

Even a smaller iPad mini sort of thing with a 4-5 inch screen might work.

(I am aware the IPT is discontinued but that never had a usable battery life for many folk…).
well i see market whats the word for when a market partakes in a only one product for situation -> : theres Sony, Apple, Dell all what we have seen as using for example dell dj and ipod both use the same firmware ("dont forget if you didnt shop at means that has meaning at&t sold the iRiver Mp3 usb key): a razr phone and an android phone are like two completely different things what says ones a plugin ones a system this SYSTEM has to be done away with Android can not Dominate a Symbian market and still have fair share of what a device should be <- whether its an mp3 player it didnt ask does it use android its the Hardware Design allows for Portal Player and Symbian to run BE.....CAUSE!<- it is the competitive market based on hear Noone said Function : is something we as a market partaker heard the manufacturers actually say accusing Microsoft of being a Dominance Partner in the Market without giving software developers is blah blah blah no we WANT IT THERE BE.....CAUSE!!!!<- they teach us the WORKING WAY<- of what IS not what is just thrown out there as sink or swim:

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wow, a watch that's wirelessly connected to your cell phone and acts as an extension. Incredible innovation. More of an expensive useless gimmick that's been successfully marketed as a fashionable must-have.
LOL - the Apple Watch is about the most useful device I have. If it'd just support wireless CarPlay & pair up to my MFi hearing aids, I'd never need the phone again other than as a camera.

But, to each their own. I hear there are people still pining for the original iPod classic ;)

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
LOL - the Apple Watch is about the most useful device I have. If it'd just support wireless CarPlay & pair up to my MFi hearing aids, I'd never need the phone again other than as a camera.

But, to each their own. I hear there are people still pining for the original iPod classic ;)
Glad the watch is useful for you. Yes, to each their own. I actually would love to see the iPod return, especially the Nano series. That was very useful for me and really miss it.

Reactions: RaphaZ

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
The reason I want an 8th (and ongoing) gen Touch is that it's super handy as an Apple ecosystem remote to media applications and other side-type uses that an iPhone (let alone an iPad) is too big / heavy for.

Sad we'll never see another one again, I really liked the adjunct stuff I could do with my 7th gens - but I'm never going to keep no longer supported devices connected to my Apple ID.

Reactions: Saturn007

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
I miss the original ipods so much. I mean I was a toddler back then, I just love the whole y2k aesthetic and I'd do ANYTHING to be an early 2000's girly carrying around a brightly coloured ipod shuffle drowning out my surroundings at a bus stop listening to evanescence.

Macbudinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Hey everything old becomes new again. Im enjoying my new mac mini pro with 32 inch LG monitor. I still have my ipod 7th gen, and it still works with my new system which i was uncertain about. But at 160gig is about full. Got some extra $$ at xmas and bought a ipod touch 7th 256gig for myself. Spent the last week digging out bit of every cd i ever owned and added them all to Music(aka itunes still cant get used to that). so far connects fine and love that it works wired or wireless with my sony m4 headphones. Anyone interested most of the ebay shops have an abundance of the 256 units in multiple colors and at great prices $283 for mine and sealed with 2year apple warentee i checked with seller before buying. Last year when i checked the prices were insane toping $500 and up just after apple discontinued.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I miss the original ipods so much. I mean I was a toddler back then, I just love the whole y2k aesthetic and I'd do ANYTHING to be an early 2000's girly carrying around a brightly coloured ipod shuffle drowning out my surroundings at a bus stop listening to evanescence.
There really was a certain magic to it that no other device could seem to pull off. I was not an Apple person yet when the iPod was in its heyday, but I sure lusted after the gorgeous iPod Classic my wife's school bought for her to use in her classroom.

Reactions: glambutnerdy

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I wonder if Apple ever looks at the prices Sony and Astral&Kern are charging for their DAPs, and thinks 'hmm'.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
In 20 days, Apple will be making a major announcement about music experiences within the Apple ecosystem. Two new iPods could well be coming to compliment everything else being announced. A new iPod Mini, and a new iPod Pro.

Reactions: Nekomichi

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
In 20 days, Apple will be making a major announcement about music experiences within the Apple ecosystem. Two new iPods could well be coming to compliment everything else being announced. A new iPod Mini, and a new iPod Pro.

of course, new iPod with 16gb ram, 1TB SSD removable memory and headphone jack, for only 350$.

Reactions: Saturn007

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Would like to see a hi-res Ipod similar to others in the market from Sony, Astel & Kern, Ibasso, Fiio, etc. It may be a niche market, but the players are there.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
I have a Classic still kicking around. Last time I unearthed it and plugged in some headphones I noticed how bad the DAC sounded.

Could have been the audio file I was playing back that was ripped using older algorithms. But I kid you not my ears have gotten used to much better sounding digital audio than I ever experienced on the iPod.

If anyone wants it send me your address and $50,000. I'll pay the postage.

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
I swear to god, if they release an ipod, which seems doubtful, and it doesn't have a headphone jack, I am going to scream. Removing the headphone jack is possibly one of the most pants on head idiotic trends ever to "grace" premium smartphones. Bluetooth is just frankly an inferior experience to cabled audio.

Reactions: Reno Raines

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Seems possible excluding the RAM, storage, and headphone jack.

My message was sarcastic. I don't believe Apple will produce a new iPod; there is no news about it, and they won't resurrect something that would conflict commercially with the iPhone, considering the iPhone does everything an iPod does, especially since they won't reintroduce the headphone jack, as currently, most of their earphones are wireless.

Reactions: Apollo68

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
My message was sarcastic. I don't believe Apple will produce a new iPod; there is no news about it, and they won't resurrect something that would conflict commercially with the iPhone, considering the iPhone does everything an iPod does, especially since they won't reintroduce the headphone jack, as currently, most of their earphones are wireless.
Which is unfortunate. I think that there is a market for an apple branded DAP that is truly capable of powering high impedance headphones.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Which is unfortunate. I think that there is a market for an apple branded DAP that is truly capable of powering high impedance headphones.
Well Apple could make one, and there is a market I think. However I think it would be very small unfortunately.

Reactions: Apollo68

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Count forward the days in my original post and see where you land. :D

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
Well Apple could make one, and there is a market I think. However I think it would be very small unfortunately.
Definitely niche, but companies like Fiio have proven a market for very high end audio players capable of driving very high end headphones (no the AirPods Max are not high end) does exist.

Reactions: decafjava

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
Count forward the days in my original post and see where you land. :D
The iPod is dead, and if they tried to bring it back without a headphone jack, that would be monumentally stupid. If they are unwilling to give it a headphone jack with a proper amp behind it (which would require making it thicker 😱) than nothing exists to effectively differentiate it from an iPhone, and the product would be DoA.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
of course, new iPod with 16gb ram, 1TB SSD removable memory and headphone jack, for only 350$.
Know you were joking, but I’d buy one in a heartbeat!

Still using my IPT 6 for my stargazing companion, database keeper, calendar, to-do list, and middle of the night ebook reader. It's light as can be, easily pocketable or stashed on nightstand, and incredibly useful. No worries about dropping it, either.

Even though I own recent iPhone SEs, the IPT handles the basics for me. Great device!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The iPod is dead, and if they tried to bring it back without a headphone jack, that would be monumentally stupid. If they are unwilling to give it a headphone jack with a proper amp behind it (which would require making it thicker 😱) than nothing exists to effectively differentiate it from an iPhone, and the product would be DoA.

Like I said in my original post, all will be revealed on April 1st.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.