Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Would also be a good way to show off infinite blacks. Doesn't get darker than individual pixels shut off

My OLED tv's are nothing short of amazing (contrast is exceptional too)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
So a YouTuber posted a video showing off smart invert and it looks almost like dark mode. Some apps look normal black and not all crazy like it used to be and the homescreen looks almost normal except for the dock.

This looks like a stepping stone and I'm pretty convinced it's coming, who knows if it might be a iPhone 8 exclusive.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3655.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,024

jglove42

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Alright, so I know "Smart Invert" works to sort of suffice for the Dark Mode itch, but does anyone know what it looks like on iMessages yet? Or other applications? The video I found below doesn't show off much.

Aqbll

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
The native apps all are black, the same gradient as the settings app. If enabled with twitter dark mode the twitter app will look like the normal invert colors. If you disable it the app will be black as the system. The problem is with the media, looks awful in negative.

Reactions: skinned66

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
For what I tested, its not a setting made to be permanently turned on. On lockscreen, the dark clock looks very ugly. It works well on Message, photos, home screen and settings apps, but in Safari, it looks the same as the classic invert colors. Maybe it will change when more beta's will release, but I hope something similar to Deluminate (an extension to google chrome) will be applied to safari (invert colors but not pictures)

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Perhaps. But I feel like Apple would have ultimately touched on dark mode during an iOS/developer conference if it were to happen. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem like a likelihood, even though I would appreciate this feature.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Springboard IS what is outdated and wrong with iOS. Look at that 3rd screenshot!!! Like 9 pages of apps. It's a UI mess. Reinvent how we access and store apps. The grid is dead. Too many colorful apps and they all blend together. Up to 256GB phones with 500 apps. How do you use it. iOS is a bloated UI disaster on the home screen. Within apps, it is great. But the home screen(s) is overdue for innovation.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So a YouTuber posted a video showing off smart invert and it looks almost like dark mode. Some apps look normal black and not all crazy like it used to be and the homescreen looks almost normal except for the dock.

This looks like a stepping stone and I'm pretty convinced it's coming, who knows if it might be a iPhone 8 exclusive.

What do you guys think?
It's still just something that inverts colors, just does it smarter in the sense of not inverting photos/videos where it doesn't make as much sense to invert them. It's not dark mode. There was probably more evidence of actual dark mode elements and code back in iOS 10 beta days as I recall, and yet here we are with iOS 11 betas and still no actual mention or direct availability of actual dark mode.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Perhaps. But I feel like Apple would have ultimately touched on dark mode during an iOS/developer conference if it were to happen. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem like a likelihood, even though I would appreciate this feature.
Maybe they're waiting to show it off, trying to perfect it on the iPhone 8. If not maybe next year (again)
[doublepost=1496727802][/doublepost]
It's still just something that inverts colors, just does it smarter in the sense of not inverting photos/videos where it doesn't make as much sense to invert them. It's not dark mode. There was probably more evidence of actual dark mode elements and code back in iOS 10 beta days as I recall, and yet here we are with iOS 11 betas and still no actual mention or direct availability of actual dark mode.
But even the icons look perfect, the settings app is straight dark mode.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . This looks like a stepping stone and I'm pretty convinced it's coming . . .

Hope you're correct.
[doublepost=1496742219][/doublepost]
. . . but in Safari, it looks the same as the classic invert colors. Maybe it will change when more beta's will release . . .

Yes perhaps if enough people provide feedback on this, they will address the Safari integration during the Beta process.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Springboard IS what is outdated and wrong with iOS. Look at that 3rd screenshot!!! Like 9 pages of apps. It's a UI mess. Reinvent how we access and store apps. The grid is dead. Too many colorful apps and they all blend together. Up to 256GB phones with 500 apps. How do you use it. iOS is a bloated UI disaster on the home screen. Within apps, it is great. But the home screen(s) is overdue for innovation.

Why do you have 500 apps on your phone? Ever heard of folders? I have 16 icons on my home screen, not including my dock. Half that on my second screen. That’s all.

I’ve seen lots of phones with icons all over, it’s a mess because people don’t care. Organize and it wouldn’t be a problem. Android is no better in this department.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I like your way of thinking. It's coming, but don't fret. Nice to see them using the opportunity to make something that'll adapt to things already made. Makes it great for accessibility AND as a Dark Mode feature. It'll be an OLED iPhone thing since they'll get to talk about how the mode greatly improves battery life then too.

Reactions: EM2013

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Why do you have 500 apps on your phone? Ever heard of folders? I have 16 icons on my home screen, not including my dock. Half that on my second screen. That’s all.

I’ve seen lots of phones with icons all over, it’s a mess because people don’t care. Organize and it wouldn’t be a problem. Android is no better in this department.
I don't have 500 apps on my phone, probably about 200. I have one screen with 16 folders and my dock has 4 folders. Only 2 or 3 folders have more than one page of 9.

You are correct. Android is worse. I would not switch to Android for quite a few reasons. But I still believe the Springboard home screen is outdated and could be a significant opportunity for innovation.

Reactions: redbeard331

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Alright, so I know "Smart Invert" works to sort of suffice for the Dark Mode itch, but does anyone know what it looks like on iMessages yet? Or other applications? The video I found below doesn't show off much.

Here it is.
[doublepost=1496796955][/doublepost]
The native apps all are black, the same gradient as the settings app. If enabled with twitter dark mode the twitter app will look like the normal invert colors. If you disable it the app will be black as the system. The problem is with the media, looks awful in negative.
Maybe with future updates it'll get better.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 312

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
What do you suggest to improve the home screen?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Here it is.
[doublepost=1496796955][/doublepost]
Maybe with future updates it'll get better.
Why would it get better when this is not the purpose of it? I don't get why that's so hard for people to comprehend.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
There's no way Apple doesn't take advantage of one of OLED's best advancements as a display technology when they move to that, especially when they already take advantage of that with the Apple Watch to help with battery life.

Whether they will or not, remains to be seen of course but I wouldn't rule out a dark mode until we see the new OLED iPhone

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've never used a device with a dark mode.

What happens when you visit a website with a white background?

That will hurt your eyes when you're reading in bed in the dark!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I've never used a device with a dark mode.

What happens when you visit a website with a white background?

That will hurt your eyes when you're reading in bed in the dark!
This single-handedly has been one of the biggest reasons against a dark mode that I have been saying. You can't change Safari to only display websites in black. Even the jailbreak tweaks couldn't overcome this.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This single-handedly has been one of the biggest reasons against a dark mode that I have been saying. You can't change Safari to only display websites in black. Even the jailbreak tweaks couldn't overcome this.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I couldn't imagine how they would handle that.

My "dark mode" has always been "turn down the brightness" :D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What do you suggest to improve the home screen?
I honestly don't know. My kneejerk reaction is a windows phone live tile like scrolling screen with squares that take the space of two or four icons. Shop, Watch, Listen, Communicate, where a 3D Touch press on the tile reveals the apps in that "center" and sliding to the icon and holding reveals 3D Touch commands for that app. Something that gets rid of the rows of icons that after a while look similar and lose the ability to really draw you quickly into actions.

But I am not suggesting that Apple copy windows phone. I do think that so many home screen wallpapers don't work because the wallpaper with the app icons becomes a visual mess. I think the rows of icons worked well when Apple had stock only or there was a limited set of apps but over time people carry more apps on their phone and the grid is not access friendly.

I think that like the iOS 9 jailbreak griddy or gridswitcher and like the iPad iOS 11 app switcher the iPhone also needs a 2 or 3 column (depending on orientation and phone size and user preference as a setting) app switcher instead of the Rolodex/cover flow app switcher that is awful.

As I said, I don't have the answer and would hope the visionaries and designers at Apple could collectively design a new UI that was intuitive, graceful and not cumbersome, allowing us to access our apps without being a visual mess that I believe has become so bloated people can't quickly get to what they need on their phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.