Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Hi,

I have an iCloud account that started as me.com and then it changed to iCloud.com but it kept the me.com also. I tried to delete the me.com and it said it did but still shows on my appleid every time I log in. I want to change it to a gmail.com and delete the iCloud and me so I can have a new email but also keep my past purchases. Have a few questions..

Will I be able to use "hide my email" with a non iCloud email address?
Will I be able to definitely delete the iCloud and me from that appleid so that the email addresses are gone?
Any way to download all my emails from the iCloud.me and import them to the new gmail?

CHeers

Matt

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
You can't delete your iCloud account (which @me is permanently associated with) and use a gmail account as your new account and have your past purchases would associated with said account.
What's the point in having the option to change the apple id then?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-03 at 16.50.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-03 at 16.50.57.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 74

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What's the point in having the option to change the apple id then?
Once your ID is tied to iCloud, there is no going back to a third party email as the primary. If your ID is third party email, you can still change it to another third party email.

If you want to create a new Apple ID using the gmail account, you can do that. You will lose the ability to see and use past purchases, unless you keep the iCloud ID and set up family sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Can change from iCloud to gmail. Couldn't years ago but definitely can do now. Just don't want to do it until I know everything will work as the same apart from the email addresses

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Why do you want to change your Apple ID to a gmail?
Cause I am sick of emails coming through to my iCloud email address that I can’t unsubscribe to. I’ve tried unsubscribing, tried blocking, tried everything and it’s just annoying.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Cause I am sick of emails coming through to my iCloud email address that I can’t unsubscribe to. I’ve tried unsubscribing, tried blocking, tried everything and it’s just annoying.
You subscribed to stuff and now you don't want to get anymore mails from those sites? Why not use "Hide my email"?

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
You subscribed to stuff and now you don't want to get anymore mails from those sites? Why not use "Hide my email"?
I would but they have my old email. Hide my email wasn’t out years ago. I just get 40 emails a week from stupid companies that I have unsubscribed time and time again and still get them. Tried blocking. Nothing works.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would but they have my old email. Hide my email wasn’t out years ago. I just get 40 emails a week from stupid companies that I have unsubscribed time and time again and still get them. Tried blocking. Nothing works.
Configure your email so that the emails in question go straight to your junk folder and you don't have to look at them. You could also change the email on the accounts you no longer want mail from to use a "hide my email" address and then delete the email account under settings. No more email from those places.

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Configure your email so that the emails in question go straight to your junk folder and you don't have to look at them.
I’ve tried that. It doesn’t work. I’ll do a video to show you the problem I have. It’s the bane of my life.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It's some work, but you could change your email adress on those websites to a "hide my email"-mail adress and then just delete that adress.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
1.Will I be able to use "hide my email" with a non iCloud email address?
2.Will I be able to definitely delete the iCloud and me from that appleid so that the email addresses are gone?
3.Any way to download all my emails from the iCloud.me and import them to the new gmail?
to answer your questions
1. yes
2. probably not, but don't know
3. probably yes, but don't know how. Both can use IMAP so you can just do some export/import over that protocol.

kilobytes

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Did you use the unsubscribe button at the top of the email? (see image) That doesn't work (at least it never did for me). Usually emails have a link at the bottom. If that doesn't work it probably won't work on gmail either when you eventually get emails like that there.
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 11.25.13 AM.png

mpmbeast

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Did you use the unsubscribe button at the top of the email? (see image) That doesn't work (at least it never did for me). Usually emails have a link at the bottom. If that doesn't work it probably won't work on gmail either when you eventually get emails like that there. View attachment 1986137
Yeah I’ve tried both ways. I’m currently trying to download all my 12k+ Photos from my old iCloud account to start a fresh but that’s proving impossible as the zip files are all corrupt. Fed up with apples services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.