Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1clue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hi,

I've been using Path Finder for a couple years. At one point I set it as the "default finder" in its settings because I liked it better than the Finder. It's been great, but about a month ago I upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks and now every time I "show in finder" it opens Path Finder, which immediately locks up. I have to force quit it.

Cocoatech's support is inspiring, but it's inspiring in a way that makes me never want to buy any of their products, forever. I opened a support ticket, they responded and closed the thread at the same time. The response was effectively that the "default finder" option actually goes and sets the default finder for every app on the hard disk. Thread closed, no more discussion allowed. That was about a month ago.

I've followed all the recommended tricks to get Path Finder to open up again so I can reset that option. Never once has it started without immediately going to beach ball and locking up.

OK it's like this: If I can't raise a support ticket and keep it open until it's resolved, then I can't give them any more money either. Ever.

So here's what I'm after: An app or script I can run that resets the default finder back to the original Finder app on every app on the disk.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I don't use Path Finder, but saw this on their support site. If you haven't tried it maybe it will work for you.

Here is a work-around that I found.
Launch PF.
When it freezes, open a Finder window in the directory that contains PF.
Right-click on PF and select "Show Contents".
Open "Contents".
Open "MacOS"
Double-click "Path Finder".
Force Quit the first version of PF.

1clue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
That actually worked. All I got was the "clear your 'recent items' and try again" nonsense.

I reset the preferences and tested it, Now I don't have to give these guys more money.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.