Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
hey all,

I want to set up my desktop background so that it cycles through photos in a specific album (not a smart album) in my iPhoto library. However, when I click on that folder in the Sys Pref pane, "change desktop every..." is greyed out. What gives? I really recall this being an option in the past. Have things changed or am is my memory incorrect?

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
sorry

Sorry about the first ****up. Honestly I thought my edit had gone through correctly.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
copy the applicable files in iPhoto to the desktop, create a folder there and put those pics in it. tell prefs to cycle through that folder for your desktop. should work.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
yeah

I figured I'd have to make a whole separate folder...just was hoping there was something I was missing. Am I wrong about the way things used to be?

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
If you're in the album you want in iPhoto, with no specific photo selected, click the desktop button and the "Desktop & screensaver" sys preference opens.

There should be an "iPhoto Selection" option available on the left hand side and the "Change picture .." tick box is available.

It works for me.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
buckuxc said:
I figured I'd have to make a whole separate folder...just was hoping there was something I was missing. Am I wrong about the way things used to be?
I wish they had this in Tiger. Hopefully we'll see it in Leopard.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You don't need to copy any photos anywhere, just select all the photos in the album and click the "Desktop" button at the bottom of the iPhoto window. System Preferences will open and the selection you made will appear as a folder called "iPhoto Selection" in the left hand source window where a folder would normally appear. All the cycling settings will be available and you won't have to double up on the photos.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
You don't even need to select the photos, just the album. Then press "desktop" etc etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.