Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day,

I need to change the email address on my child's AppleID.

I have just performed the same job for my own AppleID, and my wife's AppleID, and even my older 16yo child's AppleID - all part of the same family group - however, when I try to do this for my 10yo's AppleID - it will not let me do it.

I found that I'm not the only one:

Can anyone advise how to make this change?

I was able to add the new email address to the AppleID, but it wont let me delete the old email address, in order to make the new one the primary address.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

cosmic

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day @Apple_Robert

That was my next go-to idea, until I tried it, and learned that as a 10 year old Apple ID holder, they cannot be removed from one family account without being moved to another family account. (!) I also cannot sign the iPad out of the account. Basically - it's very heavily locked down!

In the end, although I'd tried it previously without success, I tried the AppleID website again, and this time - it worked. After doing 2-factor verification with my own device, I could then change the email, and then had to respond to an email sent to the new address. I then also had to respond to an email sent to my own email address, to verify (yet again) that as the family boss person, that I was happy for the change.

Then, although it was showing correctly in some areas, some others continued to display the old email address for about half a day. Finally however, everything appears to be ok.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
G'day @Apple_Robert

That was my next go-to idea, until I tried it, and learned that as a 10 year old Apple ID holder, they cannot be removed from one family account without being moved to another family account. (!) I also cannot sign the iPad out of the account. Basically - it's very heavily locked down!

In the end, although I'd tried it previously without success, I tried the AppleID website again, and this time - it worked. After doing 2-factor verification with my own device, I could then change the email, and then had to respond to an email sent to the new address. I then also had to respond to an email sent to my own email address, to verify (yet again) that as the family boss person, that I was happy for the change.

Then, although it was showing correctly in some areas, some others continued to display the old email address for about half a day. Finally however, everything appears to be ok.
Thank you for the follow-up. You had to deal with way too much red tape (as it were). Hopefully, you won't have to go though all that again.

Reactions: cosmichobo

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I’ll just follow this up again to say - I’ve just migrated my son’s iPad to the one Father Christmas brought him (a bit of an ordeal itself as the “quick” method to transfer all the data over kept freezing, but got there after a few restarts) - the new iPad then asked for the password to the old AppleID/email address…

I entered the password, but it asked again, and again, so I just hit cancel. Doesn’t seem to be causing any issues so far… the AppleID on the new iPad shows correctly as the new address, so - ??

As a Mac guy since 1992, “it just works” has long been my motto, but when it comes to Apple products over the past decade, it feels more like “it may just work, on the 5th try”…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.